Dynadot

Same day domain flipping. Does it really work?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LZScott

Impact
I bought a few courses on domaining. They stated same day sales were possible with [Persons Name] + [Service].com or in other words "MikesLandscaping.com" or [City]+[Service].com or in other words HoustonAttorney.com. I registered about 20 domain names that were [City]+[Service].com type domain names. I sold one and had 4 other near sales. A couple were not able to purchase the domain because Godaddy sale page was not working (The buy button did not work as stated by the customer. So lost the sale because they flaked out later. I did not get to strike while the iron was hot). The others I cannot really know why they decided not to buy. There seems to be a lot of flakiness.

But the question I have is. Do domainers really flip domains the same day? Or is this just a scam by people selling courses? I have hear both yes you can and no it is a scam so far? Any advice you can give me regarding this topic?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
only new members flip names same day... and only in their imaginations. soon u will learn domaining takes years of hard work to master... and first sales especially often take many months... not hours or days... have fun learning

•••
only new members flip names same day... and only in their imaginations. soon u will learn domaining takes years of hard work to master... and first sales especially often take many months... not hours or days... have fun learning
Thank you for the response alcy.

•••
The problem is newbie keeps learning the wrong things and end up wasting time and losing money. This business is not like any other business. Here are something’s that people learn
- appraisal values
- past sales
- search results
- how many extensions are taken
- grandpa/grandma approved

The only questions you should ask are what can the website be and who are the potential customers?

•••
Thank you for the response alcy.

all good. we all start same way. but it's no quick easy cash. keep learning from here... namebio... post all names on all markets.. use namepros or bodis landers... but the most important is to learn what makes a valuable slash sellable domain. u learn this from experience only. til u gotta ask others for value or use useless appraise tools well u just aren't there yet. have fun

•••
Total waste of money, I purchased a domain on dynadot auction for $45 and here only $4 bid.

•••
is this just a scam by people selling courses?...
Hi

it's not a scam, but some of what is alluded to, most likely couldn't be done on first day by a beginner.
you have to consider that every other person who took a course, basically learns the same thing.

so, they're all going to the same places, looking at the sites, checking the same keywords, using the same metrics, etc, etc.

still, once you "get it",
then sure, it's possible to buy a name and resell it the same day. though expect lower roi compared to what more holding time might yield.
i used to do it quite frequently, years ago, but there was less competition, prices were lower and more buyers for domains with cash in hand, during those times.

but as said in other threads, only the registrars and auction houses are flipping domains now.
everybody else has to endure a hold time, before the "right buyer" or any buyer comes along.

imo...

•••
If you are good with handergs you can buy at reg fee and resell for 2-3X here on namepros. Can be good to understand the market and what other investors buy but not a worthy strategy longterm imo

•••
•••
I guess anything is possible, but there are 155M+ .COM registered.

I could see selling some domains here and there, but it would almost turn more into a job than investing.

Brad

•••
I've consistently been able to sell domains on the same day I acquire them. For geo-related domains, in particular, the process is relatively straightforward. For instance, when I obtain a domain via auction, I immediately begin outbound marketing as soon as it is in my account. Often, I can secure a sale within hours—my record being just 30 minutes.

However, the ease of sale largely depends on the domain itself. If it’s a domain like cityname+keyword(.com), I target potential buyers by reaching out to the top 50 sites ranking in Google for that cityname+keyword, as well as those bidding on PPC for that keyword. Additionally, I consider companies appearing in Google Maps listings as potential buyers.

It helps if you have some (or most of) that outreach process automated.

•••
Hi

it's not a scam, but some of what is alluded to, most likely couldn't be done on first day by a beginner.
you have to consider that every other person who took a course, basically learns the same thing.

so, they're all going to the same places, looking at the sites, checking the same keywords, using the same metrics, etc, etc.

still, once you "get it",
then sure, it's possible to buy a name and resell it the same day. though expect lower roi compared to what more holding time might yield.
i used to do it quite frequently, years ago, but there was less competition, prices were lower and more buyers for domains with cash in hand, during those times.

but as said in other threads, only the registrars and auction houses are flipping domains now.
everybody else has to endure a hold time, before the "right buyer" or any buyer comes along.

imo...
Good points Don, and yeah selling but for what price? Most times the ROI will be nothing special.

•••
I could see being able to proactively sell decent GEOs for low to mid $XXX range, but I think it would be tough to turn that alone into a viable business.

If you used the capital from sales to branch out to higher quality domains, it could be a starting point at least.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
While it's possible, it's quite extraordinary to register or acquire and sell a domain on the same day. Several stars would have to align:
  • The domain keyword(s) being "in the news" or gone viral
  • The buyer is on the same page price-wise
  • They are in the same timezone
  • Agreement closes the same day
Furthermore, for many countries and the US included, selling a domain that's held for less than 365 days incurs regular taxation, as opposed to holding it for a year or longer that is treated as capital gains (check with your CPA.)

The fastest I've sold a domain from registration to sale was 3 days. Listed for sale at Uniregistry, the sale closed on Afternic. It was a political / social domain and the buyer never used it since 2021!

•••
A domain registration is good for a year so it doesn't need to be flipped immediately. Register some domains, do some outreach to potential buyers to try to sell them right away, but if they don't just put up a BIN price on each and hope it sells over the next 12 months. If a domain gets close to expiry with no buyer, you can try doing a bit more outreach to sell it just before it runs out.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Total waste of money, I purchased a domain on dynadot auction for $45 and here only $4 bid.
If you got a $4 bid that fast, it may be worth a couple hundred dollars. What domain name is it?

•••
1. Most people that buy a domain will never be able to sell

2. Domainers rarely sell a name, and most names they own they will never sell even if they live 200 years

3. The chances of selling a name within a few weeks of buying it is very low. Doing it over and over is impossible unless you buy a few hundred thousand names then everything becomes possible.

4. Save your time, save your money, invest it in something more promising than domain names. Domaining is for people that enjoy the whole process and don't mind paying a lot of money for that chase. Finding the names, watching auctions, getting low ball offers, getting offers and accepting and not getting payment, it's fun and randomly someone will buy a name from you that you considered dropping. They will also buy names that you dropped but forgot to delete from Afternic.

One of the funniest stories I have with domaining is about the time I almost flipped a domain the same day I got it.........to myself.

I was new to domaining, there was a domain I was watching for a long time that finally entered the 5 day pending deletion phase. I backordered it everywhere, NameJet, SnapNames, Hexo, Name, Pheenix, even purchased a GoDaddy backorder.

At 2pm EST I start refreshing ICANN whois every few minutes (more like milliseconds) waiting to see who got the name. Almost at the end of the drop time, about 2:45 it showed a registrar with a strange name got it and it led me to a site called BatDomains or something like that. I was very upset, how could some registrar with a broken looking site, beat all these other companies I backordered from?

I make up my mind to just contact the new owner of the name using whois and offer them 500. The problem was, the whois was blank, no info on registrant, no nameservers, almost looked like a half registered domain.

Few hours go by and I do a whois lookup on that broken registrar site, and now it has private info for the registrant. I take my chances and email the privacy email my offer of 500 using a email that doesn't come up in google.

With a few minutes I get an email with my own offer to my regular email address. I am starting to wonder if I am losing my mind, how did they know to send me a copy of my email to my real email?

It didn't take long and I got some emails from snapnames telling me that they acquired the domain on my behalf and they set it up with that dumpster registrar. At the time I had no clue that they use registrars around the world, to catch names. Soon an email followed from that broken registrar site that they have my account setup.

So that is as close I got to flipping a name for 500 dollars on the same day I registered it.

•••
I've consistently been able to sell domains on the same day I acquire them. For geo-related domains, in particular, the process is relatively straightforward. For instance, when I obtain a domain via auction, I immediately begin outbound marketing as soon as it is in my account. Often, I can secure a sale within hours—my record being just 30 minutes.

However, the ease of sale largely depends on the domain itself. If it’s a domain like cityname+keyword(.com), I target potential buyers by reaching out to the top 50 sites ranking in Google for that cityname+keyword, as well as those bidding on PPC for that keyword. Additionally, I consider companies appearing in Google Maps listings as potential buyers.

It helps if you have some (or most of) that outreach process automated.
Successful outbound in just 30 mins is really fast. Do you contact regular buyers or search for potential buyers and contact them?
Any demand for Countryname.ngtld domains or is it only for .com?

•••
I'm pretty sure op didn't mean outbound or geo names specifically.

•••
You can't transfer a freshly registered or transferred domain, there's a 60-days lock following new registrations or previous transfer imposed by the ICANN, so same-day domain flipping is just impossible because of the rules every registrar have to follow.

•••
You can't transfer a freshly registered or transferred domain, there's a 60-days lock following new registrations or previous transfer imposed by the ICANN, so same-day domain flipping is just impossible because of the rules every registrar have to follow.

when u are less new u will discover nice thing called push.

•••
When i was a newbie and tried to flip a name same day here after reg, some one bid 0.000000000000000000. I was so broke. But that was a starting point.

•••
I bought a few courses on domaining. They stated same day sales were possible with [Persons Name] + [Service].com or in other words "MikesLandscaping.com" or [City]+[Service].com or in other words HoustonAttorney.com. I registered about 20 domain names that were [City]+[Service].com type domain names. I sold one and had 4 other near sales. A couple were not able to purchase the domain because Godaddy sale page was not working (The buy button did not work as stated by the customer. So lost the sale because they flaked out later. I did not get to strike while the iron was hot). The others I cannot really know why they decided not to buy. There seems to be a lot of flakiness.
This is 15 year old advice that has long since expired. Go to NameBio and check out the sales, or keep an eye on the high end sales in the newsfeed of this forum, and then count how many of them are of this type.

I could go off on a rant why these types of domains aren't as desirable anymore, but I'll leave it at that.

But the question I have is. Do domainers really flip domains the same day? Or is this just a scam by people selling courses? I have hear both yes you can and no it is a scam so far? Any advice you can give me regarding this topic?
If someone knew where to find gold they'd be mining gold, not selling maps leading to its location.

Last edited:
•••
Why would they give away the secret if they're flipping on a daily basis? They would do that themselves and make money instead.

Bottomline, any course, ebook, etc., that teaches instant money is bogus, don't fall for it and waste your money.

There is no overnight success, period!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back