Dynadot

How to submit url to DMOZ

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VisionEdger

Account Closed
Impact
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question

I am very confused how to add my url to dmoz. The instructions on their site just goes in circles and does not have any way to submit url to them.

Any idea what to do to submit?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Go to subdirectory that describes your site best, ie. dmoz.org/Games/Miniatures/Fantasy/ and then click "suggest url" link in the upper right corner. You should wait for approval after that.

•••
Adding to that, it may take weeks to get approved or you may not get approved at all -- that's DMOZ for you. If you resubmit the same domain out of frustration, my understanding is that it goes to the very back of the approval line once again, so it really is in your best interest to just wait it out.

•••
I've probably submitted about 10 domains to DMOZ. None have ever been approved. Even though my submittals were accurate in every way. I don't bother submitting any urls any more. Waste of time and effort.

•••
Does websites that are listed in dmoz gain value?

•••
Any good link will gain value.

I don't know why so many people have difficulty understanding the pagerank concept but it basically doesn't matter that DMOZ is a PR 8 because your link isn't showing on the homepage which is the page which is a PR 8. The section my blog is listed on DMOZ for example is a PR 4 and then there's 60+ other domaining websites on that same page, so there really isn't a lot of link juice flowing. I don't believe DMOZ is given extra credit anymore, so if you're on a PR 4 DMOZ page, it's just a free PR 4 link -- not going to complain having gotten it for free but coughing up the $299/yr and get listed in the Yahoo directory (funny that Google recommends this paid link) might be easier.

Does websites that are listed in dmoz gain value?

Last edited:
•••
I've probably submitted about 10 domains to DMOZ. None have ever been approved. Even though my submittals were accurate in every way. I don't bother submitting any urls any more. Waste of time and effort.

Yup, same here. I've tried submitting quality sites with quality descriptions in the most appropriate category - and in vain. Worst of all, I've even browsed some sites that they've published and these are not necessarily 'quality' sites.

I'm sure that it comes down to the editors: if they're feeling cranky they'll delete your site. LOL.:blink: I read that some editors even require a "tip" if you want them to include your site.

Bah!

•••
Here is a URL that one can use to add URL to one specific sub-directory:

dmoz.org/cgi-bin/add.cgi?where=Business/Opportunities/Home_Based

Just browse to the sub directory where you want your site to be added and there you will see a link to add your site's URL.

I submitted many sites to Dmoz, and have waited for years but unfortunately, no site got approved.

There are like thousands of submission or more every day, you can image when and if your site will get approved.

•••
Dmoz gives a step by step process to do it..all you got to do is read and follow those instructions...That's all

•••
Dmoz has been down over a month, that's just a backup they're running. They don't approve anyone anyway, so don't waste your time.

•••
DMOZ submissions are just a lottery type things :D Submit it and forget it. If you are lucky and your lucky number is 7 and it is 7th of July then you might get accepted. Otherwise no way :'(

I have got some sites accepted in it though :) It was real headache to get them accepted ;)

•••
Hi,

Rules of submission in Dmoz is not different than other directories.

You have to select first most appropriate category and then you have to click on add your site link from menu bar.

But approval time in Dmoz is much longer and approval is completely depend on your site quality. If your site details and your site is perfect then your site can listed there.

•••
I think I submitted 25 links(different PR) at DMOZ and none was accepted(until present day) so I remove'it from my directory list.

•••
Anyone here ever 'lucky' with success story submission to DMOZ or maybe website so famous so the website automatic listed in DMOZ without submit ?

•••
Not me unfortunately however if you want to apply to be a DMOZ editor, you have to list 3 websites which you think should belong in the directory, so some people would get in that way.

Anyone here ever 'lucky' with success story submission to DMOZ or maybe website so famous so the website automatic listed in DMOZ without submit ?

•••
Just go through the guidelines specified by DMOZ and submit your website url.
Don't wait for the approval process. In most of the cases, they don't approve the sites.
However, there are some lucky ones too.

•••
scam

Unfortunately DMOZ has become basically a corrupt scam. The only way to really get links approved is to become an editor and approve your own sites, which should be illegal but it isn't. There has been a lot of questionable and downright unethical actions by some of the editors, especially in certain niches. Doesn't hurt to try, but don't hold your breath waiting for approval.

•••
Last edited:
•••
There is other way too :D You just need some contact and should know some pressure points where to press it and how hard :D

Sad that it has been like this. But what to do :D

•••
•••
As a dmoz editor, I will admit it is hard to sometimes get listed in the directory. But the thing is, you aren't really understanding the concept of suggesting a site either. In the eyes of dmoz, when you suggest a site, you are simply doing just that. Suggesting a site. There are no requirements saying that editors MUST review sites in queue. All of the sites in queue are sites that have been reccomended for the directory. Editors are encouraged to list sites that are unique in content. Now with all of this said, one of the very popular categories I edit in has over 5,000 sites in queue. Now lets say I review 100 of them in 1 day. Then that same day, people suggest another 500 sites. It is really a never ending battle of keeping up with the queues. I will tell you this much, read the submission guidelines. If you suggest a site and follow the guidelines on how to write a compliant site description, an editor may tend to approve your site faster since he/she may not have any editing to do on your suggestion. I often look through my queue to see if any are ready for approval right away. Then I go back to the others that need work and have to modify the wording of descriptions, etc. You have no idea how many people try to suggest sites with keywords for a description. The idea is to describe the site. Nothing else. You also need to realize how active an editor is as well. Volunteer editors are only required to login once every few months and perform an action to keep their accounts active. Some editors may only login and review 10 sites a day, some may login and review a couple hundred a day. There are awards and incentives for being very active and helpful, but they are only there for those who wish to compete for them.

As for dezinerite, I don't doubt there may be some editors performing some type of abuse such as taking bribes. But those editors are breaking rules since this is against ODP guidelines. If you run into a "cranky" editor abusing the policies, you are more than welcome to report them. All reports of abuse are investigated and the editor will be taken care of accordingly.

So to summarize, suggesting a site is no gaurantee of review or approval. Suggesting a site is simply just that. A suggestion. So the best way to look at this is to suggest your site and forget about it for a while. If you are listed, great. If not, don't stress over it. The directory is created by humans for humans. There is no way a human can possibly list every site on the internet like some of the automated search engines possibly can.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks snowbird for your input :) I learnt it from you and now the concept is clear. It is simple to the point. Submissions :)

•••
Okay if there is always queue about 5000 sites per day ( lets assume ) , is it any priority for high Page Rank domain or booming website ( means like twitter ) ?

I think when the website get famous , we could easily find the website in DMOZ ( skipping the queue perhaps ? ) or maybe they are not submitting, DMOZ editor will automatically put in DMOZ list ?

•••
Okay if there is always queue about 5000 sites per day ( lets assume ) , is it any priority for high Page Rank domain or booming website ( means like twitter ) ?

I think when the website get famous , we could easily find the website in DMOZ ( skipping the queue perhaps ? ) or maybe they are not submitting, DMOZ editor will automatically put in DMOZ list ?

Well when I said that, I was only referring to one of the popular categories i edit in. Some categories may have significantly lower queue numbers. As for there being priority for high page rank domains, no that is not true. All suggested sites are automatically sent to the queue as if it were any other suggestion. No special treatment is given by the system.

I will say that not all the listings have gone through a queue. If I search google for something and find an interesting article that has to do with one of the categories I edit in, I could very well decide to add it immediately to the category I manage if I feel it is useful information many might have an interest in. If I find a site with useful information and I want to add it to a category I do not edit in, then I can suggest it. If it gets reviewed and listed, great. If not, then there isn't much else I can do about it.

•••
Well when I said that, I was only referring to one of the popular categories i edit in. Some categories may have significantly lower queue numbers. As for there being priority for high page rank domains, no that is not true. All suggested sites are automatically sent to the queue as if it were any other suggestion. No special treatment is given by the system.

I will say that not all the listings have gone through a queue. If I search google for something and find an interesting article that has to do with one of the categories I edit in, I could very well decide to add it immediately to the category I manage if I feel it is useful information many might have an interest in. If I find a site with useful information and I want to add it to a category I do not edit in, then I can suggest it. If it gets reviewed and listed, great. If not, then there isn't much else I can do about it.

Thanks for information. At least it would be clear after all. DMOZ is not more scary :loveyou:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back