Dynadot

question How many REAL domain sales happen everyday?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Molly

Lyrical GangsterUpgraded Member
Impact
Hi guys. I see the @NameBio postings everyday of domain sale stats. These are a mix of Godaddy expired domain auctions, and maybe some direct marketplace sales…?

Is there anyway to determine which of these sales (or at least how many) were just auctions benefiting only registrars?

Thread 'Mojab.com Sold for $24,888; MrLyonsPs.com for $13,000...'
https://www.namepros.com/threads/mojab-com-sold-for-24-888-mrlyonsps-com-for-13-000.1331608/

Thread 'Alpholz.de Sold for $17,848; Perlentaucher.com for $12,000...'
https://www.namepros.com/threads/alpholz-de-sold-for-17-848-perlentaucher-com-for-12-000.1331529/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
auctions benefiting only registrars?
Hi

all participants benefit initially, though some buyers may have remorse afterwards.

still, if i wouldn't ponder on things that are outside of my control.
just take it for what it is.

imo...

•••
Is there anyway to determine which of these sales (or at least how many) were just auctions benefiting only registrars?
The majority are wholesale from the auction houses that only benefit the registrars/etc.

If you want to exclude those, you can under Venue in NameBio set it to only include certain venues (e.g. most agree that most sales at Sedo. BuyDomains, private, DomainMarket, etc. are retail).

If you are just looking to at a glance get a breakdown retail vs wholesale @LeanneMac in her daily crunch.id analysis shows that as a column. She publishes one per day, but usually almost a day after the list first comes out on NameBio.

-Bob

•••
The majority are wholesale from the auction houses that only benefit the registrars/etc.
That's true, especially in the short term.

In the long term a lot of these domains are sold by domain investors to end users, most of which are never reported.

Brad

•••
I believe hundreds or thousand happen on Afternic and Sedo each day, but we only see on Namebio a fraction of those reported by users of Namepros in completed domain sales thread.

•••
Afternic and Sedo each day, but we only see on Namebio a fraction of those
Sedo do have a sales feed that includes sales at $2000 and up unless the buyer (or seller) has paid to have privacy of sale. So we do have most of the Sedo sales $2000 and up reported in NameBio that follow the Sedo sales feed.

At Afternic we only have the sales that a seller (or buyer) reports to NameBio or to a source that NameBio take sales from, so a very small percentage of total number.

Dan is generally the same as Afternic re sales reporting.

There is debate what percentage of retail are reported, but it is clearly a small percentage.

Because the auctions can be followed, the majority of expired domain sales are in NameBio.

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Sedo do have a sales feed that includes sales at $2000 and up unless the buyer (or seller) has paid to have privacy of sale. So we do have most of the Sedo sales $2000 and up reported in NameBio that follow the Sedo sales feed.

At Afternic we only have the sales that a seller (or buyer) reports to NameBio or to a source that NameBio take sales from, so a very small percentage of total number.

Dan is generally the same as Afternic re sales reporting.

There is debate what percentage of retail are reported, but it is clearly a small percentage.

Because the auctions can be followed, the majority of expired domain sales are in NameBio.

-Bob
You are right, thats what I was implying. Only 2000+ USD sales are reported at Sedo and I believe majority of sales happen below that range. Most marketplaces like Godaddy, Afternic, Dan are not reporting majority of sales. I believe the formula to estimate the sales would be 0.5 - 1 percent of all existing names per year, so if anybody has those numbers we could estimate count per day.

•••
just go to namebio.com and pick the category private venue in the filter and hit search. It gives you a list of private sells anyways.

•••
1722551555498.png

this is the results of private venues and just last week, as you can see, there were a total of 26 sales with a dollar total of $54900. ty

Attachments

• 1722551454026.png
    1722551454026.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
•••
Many thanks to all of you! I had not noticed the venue filter.

•••
Removed, noticed what I said was already said. Can't delete

Last edited:
•••
remember only a very tiny fraction sells from all names listed by all domainers. it only looks like alot when u see a long list from namebio everyday. but that list is a drop in ocean vs all names for sale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back