IT.COM

poll What should the length of a domain be ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What should the length of a domain be ?

• 1st

The length of the second-level domain only (namepros = 8)

votes
    60.0%
  • 2nd

The length of the second-level domain + third level domain (namepros.com = 12)

votes
    40.0%

• 10 votes
  • Ended 8 years ago
  • Final results
What should the length of a domain be ?

Most of us refer to the length of a domain as the length of the second-level domain (SLD) 'example.com' = 7 character domain but if we include the third-level domain (TLD) (dot + 'com') it's becomes an 11 character domain.

Since some new gTLDs are much longer than older TLDs maybe we should rethink the whole idea of a domains length.

After all, short domains are credited for there shortness to read, to type and to remember.

e.co is a single character domain and is just 4 characters to type, the shortest possible domain name with or without the TLD.

Should e.co not be credited as being the shortest or has it the same length as e.photography which has 13 characters to type.

What do you think a domains length should be ?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
According to all the new (short or long) TLDs I understand your considerations but 'the length of a domain should be the amount of the characters left side of the dot.
For example, 63.DOMAINS have 63 characters, equal how long the TLD itself is.

•••
as long as the domain makes money, i don't care how long it is

:)

•••
shorter the better assuming it makes sense.

3 key factors

1 - Easy to remember
2 - Easy to Spell
3 - Short

•••
@kingof.top

Is e.photography a short domain ?

Is e.co not shorter ?

Last edited:
•••
@kingof.top

Is e.photography a short domain ?

Is e.co not shorter ?

e.photography is a very short domain name, but a (relatively) long domain
e.co has the same length as domain name but of course it's a shorter domain

example.top = domain
example = domain name

example.top = 7 character domain name / 11 character domain
example.international = 7 character domain name / 21 character domain

So a long domain can include a shorter domain name than a short domain, for example:

top.international
> short domain name, long TLD, 17 character domain
international.top > long domain name, short TLD, 17 character domain
They have different length as domain names but as domains they have the same length.

Last edited:
•••
For me, 3 letter is the max to the right of the dot, unless I need it as a hack for my two letter very valuable domain. For example, if I have a word+news dot com, I might be interested in word.news.

Long words to the right defy the purpose.

Think about it. We pay 30 to 70 times premium just to make it one charachter short (LLLL for $300, LLL for $21K), while nobody cares for extra character to the right?!

I still count total number of characters as one of the factors.

•••
This is purely based on individual preference... So your question or poll should put a a more varied amount of lengths and see which is most preferred. imo

•••
I really like odd number TLDs (3L / 5L / 7L / 9L / ...) most and from those I like 3L TLDs most.
I don't prefer the straight number TLDs (4L / 6L / 8L / 10L / ...) because they are not so beautiful and according to 63.DOMAINS you cant 'play' with them perfect like with odd number TLDs.

•••
I often wondered how awkward .co.uk was to type when it first came out, having 6 characters to type but now we have much longer newer TLDs maybe it's time to rethink ?

The domain eeee.co is the same length as e.co.uk ?

The domain e.co is the same length as e.international ?

Last edited:
•••
The domain eeee.co is the same length as e.co.uk ?

Both domains have the same length while the domain names of those domains have not the same length.

So the answer is: Yes, the domain eeee.co is the same length as e.co.uk

•••
Both domains have the same length while the domain names of those domains have not the same length.

So the answer is: Yes, the domain eeee.co is the same length as e.co.uk

So what are 'short domains' ?

•••
So what are 'short domains' ?
It's relative, but as shorter the domain name and as shorter the TLD, the shorter is the domain at the end.

•••
It's relative, but as shorter the domain name and as shorter the TLD, the shorter is the domain at the end.
So what your saying is e.photography is NOT a short domain?

•••
So what your saying is e.photography is NOT a short domain?
It's a very short (shorter not possible) domain name but not really a short domain.

•••
•••
So .photography TLD does not have any 'short domains' ?
Not really.
It can have short domain names.
But the TLD is (relatively) long so the domain is not really short at the end.

•••
Being memorable, passing the radio test, are very important.

I think most people don't consider ROTD to be part of the domain name length.

•••
Being memorable, passing the radio test, are very important.

I think most people don't consider ROTD to be part of the domain name length.

It's interesting you ask this because I think if I took to the streets and asked people

which domain name is shorter ?

e.co
or e.international

I think they would say e.co don't you ?

•••
Which domain name is shorter ?
e.co or e.international

It's 'nonsense' to ask which domain name of those is shorter because both of those domain names have the same length: e = 1 character domain name

'all at the left side of the dot' = domain name
'domain name + dot + TLD' = domain

But if you ask which domain is shorter, I would say it's e.co of course.

Last edited:
•••
It's interesting you ask this because I think if I took to the streets and asked people

which domain name is shorter ?

e.co
or e.international

I think they would say e.co don't you ?
On the street, I don't think most would know what e.co or e.international even are. It amazes me how many average people really only know .com. Maybe .org they think is for charities. That's pretty much it.

•••
On the street, I don't think most would know what e.co or e.international even are. It amazes me how many average people really only know .com. Maybe .org they think is for charities. That's pretty much it.
So what's a 'short domain' ? Does it take long to type ?

•••
On the street:

Extension = "something for taxes or hairstyle?"
Whois = "who is what?"
gTLD = "huh?"
rotd = "do you mean something about the military?"
LLL = "Laughing Like Lunatic?"
NNN = "Not now something?"
Estibot = "Esti what?"
Hundred Dollars = "Million Dollars"
Push = "huh?"

Just some examples of what average people think.

•••
I think the new gTLDs have warranted a new definition. Before ngTLDs came along, info and mobi were the longest.

Short is right up my alley. I used to long for a 3C com/net/org, now I have that beat EASY with NN and LL ccTLDs.

My opinion is eventually it will make more sense to include all characters including multiple dots if 3rd level

I even have a preference now for domains that are not only short, but can be typed with only one hand (on traditional keyboard) I'm that lazy. : grin :

•••
I even have a preference now for domains that are not only short, but can be typed with only one hand (on traditional keyboard) I'm that lazy. : grin :

G/E.DE would be perfect for you ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back