Dynadot

information What is the real value of your domain name?

NameSilo
Watch

Ali

Top Member
Starfire Holdings
Impact
While there is no end-all-be-all method to attaining the value of a domain, there are different tools and methods you can use to get a better understanding of potential value. In this post, I speak about a few of them.
These tools, equations, and theories will always work better on a generic .com domain name, the further away you stray from that, the less accurate you can expect the data to be. This is not an end-all-be-all post, just one of many reference points on the internet you need to check on your valuation journey. The best thing you can do is train your instincts, and do a ton of research.

Read More: What's My Domain Name Worth?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Bookmarked. This is great, thanks!

•••
Thanks for sharing. I bookmarked it as well:xf.smile:

•••
•••
thanks a bunch!! great read.

•••
only what someone else is willing to pay for it

•••
While there is no end-all-be-all method to attaining the value of a domain, there are different tools and methods you can use to get a better understanding of potential value. In this post, I speak about a few of them.

Read More: What's My Domain Name Worth?
Zandibot,

I loved the article but one question though: on this article at the domain sherpa website, http://www.domainsherpa.com/rosener-equation-value-domain-names/, Michael says the Rosener Equation was valid back in 2011 when the article was written but that it shouldn't be used today. I'm assuming this is because seo and the google algorithms have changed a ton since then making it much tougher to rank #1, let alone even get on the first page of Google organically for top keywords related to your site or business. You say in your article that you use the Rosener Equation daily despite this. Can you please give us some insight as to why you still view it as a valid valuation tool and how you think its use and accuracy has differed since the time years ago when Rosener came up with it?

Thanks

•••
•••
Zandibot,

I loved the article but one question though: on this article at the domain sherpa website, http://www.domainsherpa.com/rosener-equation-value-domain-names/, Michael says the Rosener Equation was valid back in 2011 when the article was written but that it shouldn't be used today. I'm assuming this is because seo and the google algorithms have changed a ton since then making it much tougher to rank #1, let alone even get on the first page of Google organically for top keywords related to your site or business. You say in your article that you use the Rosener Equation daily despite this. Can you please give us some insight as to why you still view it as a valid valuation tool and how you think its use and accuracy has differed since the time years ago when Rosener came up with it?

Thanks

Yes, I use it daily because it gives me more data to compare. The thing not to forget is that every equation, theory and tool I use is essentially based on math at some level - and the math can only be as good as the accuracy of the data used within the equation. So I use the Rosener Equation as only one of my data points when assessing value. It's never an end all be all.

Also, a lot has changed in SEO. And it's not hard that hard to rank #1 if you have a quality site, quality traffic, quality content, and professional on page optimization. (Depending on the niche/keywords)

Perhaps the equation isn't being used due to the fact that you can rank a brand new made up domain the same way you can rank an aged premium, I did it with Zandibot, why couldn't someone do it with MadeUpWords123.com? They can. The only difference in the eyes of an enduser then becomes increasing CTR by way of brand credibility. Or something like it.

Hypothetically, If I search for something like "Buy Video Games" and the results were something like:

#1 www.VideoGameShoppingMart.com | Buy Video Games.

#2 www.VideoGames.com | Buy Video Games

#3 www.Vulioga.com | Buy Games, Xbox, PlayStation

I'm personally clicking on VideoGames.com, and I think a lot of other people might agree. Why? Because a premium domain name does what not much else can. Deliver trust, and instant credibility. Hence why the equation is so useful with super generic EMD domains. Now imaging if VideoGames.com were ranked #1, the CTR might be 42% or something vs. 30%-35% on average. But again, just an off the cuff theory based on a made up example. What if VideoGames.com ranked #1 and Games.com ranked #2? And so on.

That's why it's SO important to look at every freakin' stat you can find, and compare your notes. The more you have, the closer your valuation can get to a realistic figure.

Just a few cents on the topic.

•••
Yes, I use it daily because it gives me more data to compare. The thing not to forget is that every equation, theory and tool I use is essentially based on math at some level - and the math can only be as good as the accuracy of the data used within the equation. So I use the Rosener Equation as only one of my data points when assessing value. It's never an end all be all.

Also, a lot has changed in SEO. And it's not hard that hard to rank #1 if you have a quality site, quality traffic, quality content, and professional on page optimization. (Depending on the niche/keywords)

Perhaps the equation isn't being used due to the fact that you can rank a brand new made up domain the same way you can rank an aged premium, I did it with Zandibot, why couldn't someone do it with MadeUpWords123.com? They can. The only difference in the eyes of an enduser then becomes increasing CTR by way of brand credibility. Or something like it.

Hypothetically, If I search for something like "Buy Video Games" and the results were something like:

#1 www.VideoGameShoppingMart.com | Buy Video Games.

#2 www.VideoGames.com | Buy Video Games

#3 www.Vulioga.com | Buy Games, Xbox, PlayStation

I'm personally clicking on VideoGames.com, and I think a lot of other people might agree. Why? Because a premium domain name does what not much else can. Deliver trust, and instant credibility. Hence why the equation is so useful with super generic EMD domains. Now imaging if VideoGames.com were ranked #1, the CTR might be 42% or something vs. 30%-35% on average. But again, just an off the cuff theory based on a made up example. What if VideoGames.com ranked #1 and Games.com ranked #2? And so on.

That's why it's SO important to look at every freakin' stat you can find, and compare your notes. The more you have, the closer your valuation can get to a realistic figure.

Just a few cents on the topic.
Thanks for the explanation Zandibot! Deff good advice

•••
It's worth what I say it's worth...

•••
•••
The three thing you need:

1) Domain Anatomy
2) Comps
3) Popularity

•••
Can not find this anywhere, does any body has an online version of this write up? Any help appreciated, cheers.

•••
•••
•••
Back