IT.COM

.uk The .CO.UK Discussion and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
This being the cctld section of namepros I am sure the answers I get here will be somewhat bias:) But here is my questions:

I found several niche generic domains with rather good overture. I was debating on getting the .net or the .co.uk version.

Revenue is important in this decision with it being a solid overture number with .com I know this would do great, but obviously not many people would choose to type mygoodgenericname.net, BUT my do people type megoodgenericname.co.uk????

Thoughts? Sorry, I am just wading into the international ext world but was wondering how well generics do for type-ins.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As a UK investor myself most of my portfolio is pretty much made up of UK domains, but I had always struggled pricing the names, so it was always an easier option to advertise these as 'make offer'.

I ran with this for quite a while with no sales and then decided to change these up and price them all at BIN pointing them all to Sedo landers. The majority of my doamins are priced at around the £695 mark or slightly higher for those more premium names. Since doing this, sales have been steady so I agree that pricing UK domains at middle £££ works.

UK buyers are very price sensitive.
Can't agree more :)
bxxx.uk
Also, for me, it is hard to estimate, but UK domains are quite interesting for me.
Same for the other TLDs related to the UK, like. ME.UK, CO.UK, ..?

Its not always about fish & chips and a boa of woa, innit :)))

Best
zotix

•••
Last edited:
•••
According to newspaper reports 60% of UK business owners and internet users prefer the .co.uk over the .com extension.

If this is of any help?

Source: Thread on UKBF - UKBusinessForums.co.uk
Yes, everyone here uses .co.uk, at first it felt weird not to, all the sites i'd use growing up were .co.uk

•••
To give all non-brits a sense of usage, Most Brits almost formally separate their internet and bricks-and-mortar presence. That is to say they tend to view these as two entities, two separate arms if you will and therefore they view the use of the .com and co.uk as separate modes of identity for different access and outcomes.

To make this clearer, take the .com, For the American market it is naturally the be all of internet presence. For any Country market with it's own cctld The .com depicts a Full-on internet identity, A global stand alone business presence that may or may not have a physical presence on the high street. I'm leaving aside the rather disappointing us of the dot .US

Whereas the co.uk is seen as part of the overall identity of that bricks-and-mortar business, As critical and crucial as say a telephone-line or a physical postal address. It represents far more than just the internet, it's part of their reputation, part of their whole make-up This may be a only small web presence.

So to summarise. Dot COM to the UK means a full-on internet business. .CO. UK means just normal day-to-day business. I'm fairly sure most European nations view things the same. So as part of that loop here's another little obscure trend for us brits. So the CO.UK is imperative and the .COM purely desirable. BUT and it's a big BUTT, We don't value the business name or wording quite so much, in other words the URL can be long or not so meaningful in the co.uk. So long as it fits the business and it's identity that's good enough. After all the internet is NOT their business, just part of it.

We are fully on board with the premium end of both markets. We generally just don't rate our own premium words as a stand alone business identities. If its going to be mind-shifting then it has to be a .COM end of

Last edited:
•••
To inject a bit of humour . A brits thin-king.

That bloody >co.uk website better be making me money, given all those bloody updates I get charged or.

Ah Now that beautiful dotcom I just paid $xx,xxx for. I don't care if that domain isn't making me money. That domain is money. No of course I haven't thought-through how I'm going to use it

•••
Ah Now that beautiful dotcom I just paid $xx,xxx for. I don't care if that domain isn't making me money. That domain is money. No of course I haven't thought-through how I'm going to use it
Nice, what is it?

•••

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back