Domain Empire

Successful Redemption Period Renewal (Funds Cleared w/Receipt), Domain Still Auctioned Off (NameSilo)...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vikingrinn

Impact
What would be the next steps if a domain (registered initially in 2002 and renewed yearly since) was renewed successfully with a group of domains held at NameSilo (confirmation receipt received), yet somehow was simultaneously auctioned off (also NameSilo) for a couple hundred dollars and resides now in the hands of a squatter wanting... $20k for the domain? NameSilo support is claiming its out of their hands...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Upvote 0
Just to make sure @namesilo have been tagged in case they wish to comment here, or to reach out by DM to the original poster.
Thank you, either would be preferred to the alternative.

•••
Upvote 0
Please pardon our delayed response on this matter and sorry to hear about your poor experience with our platform. We have looked further into this case and it does appear that the renewal order came in after the auction had concluded and the domain push protocol had already begun.

To prevent these types of issues, we always advise customers to turn on auto-renewal for all domains they wish to keep or renew manually ahead of expiration. Some users prefer to let their domains expire and get them appraised in the expired auction but this strategy is inherently risky. We do email registrants multiple times when their domains expire and prior to the expired auction ending, but if you forget to renew your domain, then it may be potentially won by another user.

•••
Upvote 0
Hello, @namesilo ,

I am not OP (@vikingrinn is), but I would like to understand what happened, since I might learn something new (I am not familiar with your services yet). You say:
it does appear that the renewal order came in after the auction had concluded and the domain push protocol had already begun.
Then, why did you let the renewal order be completed and paid by OP, and (according to OP), did not let them know that their renewal had failed? Is this standard procedure?

•••
Upvote 0
Also (always according to what OP claimed here):

Renewal Paid Date/Time:
2023-01-31 02:32:23

Auction End Date/Time:
2023-01-31 07:05:10

•••
Upvote 0
Hello, @namesilo ,

I am not OP (@vikingrinn is), but I would like to understand what happened, since I might learn something new (I am not familiar with your services yet). You say:

Then, why did you let the renewal order be completed and paid by OP, and (according to OP), did not let them know that their renewal had failed? Is this standard procedure?
Due to this having happened over a year ago, we don't have the detailed logs for this particular auction and subsequent domain push. But from what we were able to identify on our end, the auction completed, which then triggered the bid analysis and domain delivery scripts to run on our side.

This took a few minutes so by the time the domain was processed and delivered to the winning bidder, it was around 7:36. The renewal order came in at 7:32, which was before the domain push had been processed but post the auction. So the domain renewal order still occurred and then the auction script completed awarding the domain to the winning bidder.

•••
Upvote 0
Due to this having happened over a year ago, we don't have the detailed logs for this particular auction and subsequent domain push. But from what we were able to identify on our end, the auction completed, which then triggered the bid analysis and domain delivery scripts to run on our side.

This took a few minutes so by the time the domain was processed and delivered to the winning bidder, it was around 7:36. The renewal order came in at 7:32, which was before the domain push had been processed but post the auction. So the domain renewal order still occurred and then the auction script completed awarding the domain to the winning bidder.
Thank you for your explanation, @namesilo .

There remains an inconsistency, though, regarding renewal order timestamp:

OP says 02:32
You say 07:32

However, your reply did help me learn a couple of things, so thank you again.

•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
•••
Upvote 0
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back