IT.COM

SSL - Advise Me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CJ6

My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps.Top Member
Impact
So, I don't know much about SSL. I know that Google says that it affects ranking a little.
I'm developing a social website...possibly having paid membership as an option. I wonder if I should go ahead and get SSL for it. I might one day sell a few things through it (woocommerce) if it becomes successful (0.1% chance of that happening). Do you suggest I get a SSL Cert? If so, what kind. ..or do you have recommendations where to get it?
Thanks! (I'm a big time newb when it comes to SSL.)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
SSL Certificate secures your data transfer from the website to the server using SHA 256–bit encryption with a root size of 2048–bit. Yes, according to Google officials SSL Certificate is considered a ranking factor for websites.
I would recommend you to do PositiveSSL Certificate from Comodo CA as it is cheaper in price and increases user trust and confidence.
Recently come across a reseller named CheapSSLWeb which provides PositiveSSL at $4.99.

•••
Dynadot offers free SSL for every domain. Yes, it is important because without SSL Google Chrome will give unsecure notification for your visitors, and give sugestion not to visit your site.

The other hand SSL gives information if hackers redirect your visitors to your site through another conection first. Google Chrome once again will give your visitors if the connection to your site is hacked, so the visitors will not type password or Credit Cards info, since hackers can see it too..

Even if it is no payment gateway in your site, no SSL will really hurt it because Google Chrome notification will shown that your site is not secure, and suggest visitors not to visit your site..

This is my website using free blogger and free SSL from Dynadot. Free SSL is enough for beginners website..

https://www.describe.one/?m=1

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back