NameSilo

Google Seo guys, how do you protect against Penguin updates?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys, I'm currently searching for ways to protect against Penguin penalties since a couple of my sites were destroyed in the last few updates. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I found this free ebook that has experiences of 29 professional SEOs at linkresearchtools Hopefully that will give me some insight. Feel free to download it, maybe it helps you too.

If you have some advice on protecting against Penguin penalties and also negative seo, please share your opinion.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1) Don't build spammy crap links
2) If you built crap links in the past, remove them if you can, disavow them if you can't
3) If someone else bombed you with crap links, disavow them.
3a) Monitor your link profile.
4) Acquire good links

Keep in mind that LRT is in the business of selling link audit subscriptions ... ;)

•••
Enlytend has told you.
Anything else from anyone else?
Probably either say the same or say crap.
Listen to her.
Certainly do not listen to me, as I ignore google.

•••
Focus on your content marketing strategy so that you earn links to your website naturally, do not create backlinks or spam links.

•••
Focus on your content marketing strategy so that you earn links to your website naturally, do not create backlinks or spam links.

When you say "do not create backlinks" are you meaning by way of buying or what?

Because creating relevant quality backlinks is a key factor in SEO.

You can "create" as many as you can/want as long as they are relevant backlinks and they are not backlinks that are paid for.

•••
I wonder if "Ace" is going to pop up 4 years later to reply. NP has very friendly sig rules.

"Hopefully that will give me some insight"

You would figure you would know the answer to that before you recommended it here......and um elsewhere.

•••
Here's the trick, don't focus on ranking by tricking Google, but instead focus on creating the best content you can so people will love your website and come back. Google will also want to rank you higher because you have good content and links will come naturally

•••
Here's the trick, don't focus on ranking by tricking Google, but instead focus on creating the best content you can so people will love your website and come back. Google will also want to rank you higher because you have good content and links will come naturally

"Just create great content" is not a viable seo strategy. Lots of "great" content buried on page 5 or lower where nobody sees it. You still need to promote it, but you don't have to "trick" search engines to do that.

•••
I do get amused by all the people who jump into any thread about SEO and proclaim as the truth the lie:
CREATE GREAT CONTENT AND GOOGLE WILL LOVE YOU.

Like enlytend said, just great content is not going to do it.
Your great content will be buried so far in google searches no one will ever find it.

•••
I actually agree with gustave, it's a very sound strategy. I think we've all seen sites that have that quality and you can tell they don't have a clue about SEO, it's because they have lots of natural inbound links, mentions etc because lots of people out there found that site useful to them.

Quality lasts and quality pages tend to get a lot of natural inbound links, bookmarks, social shares etc. I know when you're first starting out a new site, it's how to get that in front of people for them to even see it in the first place for that to happen. It's a combination of quality, basic SEO know how, make it easy for people to share you stuff etc.

If we're talking about surviving updates, I think it starts with having a quality foundation. I think a total package is ideal but if I asked everybody to list sites out there they felt were of the highest quality, I would bet most of them ride thru these updates just fine.

Last edited:
•••
"Just create great content" is not a viable seo strategy. Lots of "great" content buried on page 5 or lower where nobody sees it. You still need to promote it, but you don't have to "trick" search engines to do that.

Well, I made websites with content and they get organic visitors from Google without any link. I'm not talking about a 5 pages website, you have to create a lot of good content and it has to be content that people search on Google or any search engine. I think that the time people spend on creating link would be better invested in making a better website. Then if people like it, links will come naturally. Isn't it how Google is made to work? Also by doing it like that, you have no risk of getting a penalty.

•••
I do get amused by all the people who jump into any thread about SEO and proclaim as the truth the lie:
CREATE GREAT CONTENT AND GOOGLE WILL LOVE YOU.

Like enlytend said, just great content is not going to do it.
Your great content will be buried so far in google searches no one will ever find it.

I guess your content wasn't good enough. I have a website with just a few links that get 1600 visitors a day. 800 from that is Google. 200 from Bing and 100 from Yahoo. The website also brings 1200$ per month.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back