IT.COM

advice Seller wants domain back. What would you do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What would you do?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Keep the domain

votes
    79.6%
  • Give it back and wait for your money back

vote
    0.7%
  • Give it back only if you get your money back immediately

votes
    5.6%
  • Something else (please post in thread)

votes
    14.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

I bought a domain for mid 4 figures from someone here on NamePros. Transaction went fine. After they were paid and the domain was transferred, they messaged me asking for the domain back. They said they sold it on GoDaddy auctions and didn't get notification until after they sold it to me. They seem to have also spent the money, as they asked me to wait for a refund until after they get paid from GoDaddy. They do have a good reputation here.

What would you do in this situation? Keep the domain, give it back and wait for your money back, insist on your money back right away, something else?

Thanks in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Assuming the domain sold for more at Godaddy than what he sold it to you, are you aware of the figure?

•••
You want to see the money first then give the domain back if you do indeed want to give it back.

If you do not want to give it back that is of course entirely up to you too and maybe you have a good reason for this as the name might be for a larger purpose.

•••
Please share the profit 50 - 50 (After your money), if its fine with you.

•••
obviously u did notthing wrong and yuor seller did everything wrong.

he was not even allowed to run two auctions at same time. its against everyone's rules.

ask for screenshot of godaddy auction sale.. prices.. end date etc..

then decide what you want to do. if you give it back, make sure you report seller to @Eric Lyon so that other namepros buyers time is not wasted in future liek yours is being wasted. gl.

•••
This will be a good one. I assume the seller will read this thread. Money first without a doubt, plus i would ask for some juice, like half of their profit.
Exception, a prominent member, who has earned the right to make a error.
Otherwise what Alcy said describes it best

•••
Just keep the domain. The people that bought it on Godaddy will find you. And then negotiate like Trump. Good Luck

•••
Interesting situation. Well, you are contemplating giving the name back. So why not tell the seller to have the buyer at GoDaddy buy the name from you through Escrow. save on the GD Commission. Split the extra over what you paid with the seller... It's a win-win-win...

•••
•••
The seller sent me a copy of the email from their GoDaddy rep. The domain sold for more than double what I paid. I asked the seller if they mind if I contact the rep and see if I can take over the transaction. That way I know I will be paid. Then the question is, keep all the money or split the profit with the Seller?

•••
The seller sent me a copy of the email from their GoDaddy rep. The domain sold for more than double what I paid. I asked the seller if they mind if I contact the rep and see if I can take over the transaction. That way I know I will be paid. Then the question is, keep all the money or split the profit with the Seller?
To me the deal was done and you own the domain outright. It's unfortunate for the seller but that's just how it goes.

•••
Keep it. Then sell it again (if you want) and (if you want, again) give the initial seller 20%, or so.

Sold is considered sold and business is business. It's by no means "evil" to keep a domain that you bought. I honestly think it might be more "problematic" to even ask for it back.

Last edited:
•••
Well, Its your domain. But it was his domain. Pls Consider sharing profit.

•••
Keep name till offer from previous owner or from new buyer is good enough to accept it, that is your intellectual property.

•••
Well, Its your domain. But it was his domain. Pls Consider sharing profit.

every domain WAS once someone else's domain
that's how domaining works.

•••
Ask yourself, if you couldn't sell it in the next year would the seller refund some of your money?

For all the times it doesn't work out, this one did. Sell it and keep all the profit.

•••
keep the domain unless the seller wants to split the sale with you
or just keep it and post it back for sale on gd bin :D

•••
I would keep it. I mean so many of domains have sold on different marketplaces after I sold it on namepros. This doesn't mean I go around asking for my domain back.

•••
I like to think I'm a nice guy but "I give back domain AND I wait to get paid back" seems a bit much.
I'd sell to the screwed GD buyer but not via GD and I'd give the NP seller ~15-20% finders fee.

•••
Blame yourself for finding quality names ;)

•••
your not obligated to do anything you bought it. your too much of a nice guy if you give it back. remember he sold it to you he had no problem taking your mid XXXX payment....

•••
your not obligated to do anything you bought it. your too much of a nice guy if you give it back. remember he sold it to you he had no problem taking your mid XXXX payment....

yeah
just the fact alone he has nerve to ask u for his domain back PLUS make you wait til he gets paid double for it.. is reason enough not to do it. I mean you gotta be dealing a certain special type of individual here who can forumlate his request in such a lame way.

•••
•••
Taking over the sale seems like a good solution for both (if you think the sales price is acceptable). You get the sale that belongs to you. He can maintain his good standing with GD. It is wholly your domain, so I don't see any reason to split the profit with the former owner.

•••
My view - you came to agreement on price and paid for the domain. You took a risk as it might be years before you sell the domain and potentially if market conditions change you might find yourself having to sell it at a loss. Someone else wants the domain and is willing to pay more for it than you paid for it. Wasn't that your original intent? The guy who sold it was not willing to wait for this buyer and has already spent the funds from the sale of the domain. They have no means of buying it back from you. If the seller has the new buyer's contact info and you don't want to wait for this buyer to get around to contacting you directly, perhaps you could offer a 5-10% referral fee for that info (after the sale is complete). The risk of just giving the domain back without compensation is that you risk losing the domain, what you paid for it and the potential profit from selling it to this interested party.

•••
Back