Domain Empire

Google New Google update?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

superme

Established Member
Impact
Hey guys I monitor several forums and the guys are going crazy the past 2 days over some Penguin related, I have found nothing with my sites but if someone has anything to share - Please do so.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Are you sure you mean Penguin..? That was like 2 years ago: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Penguin

Google do, however, constantly change their algorithm so you may be referring to one of the most recent ones. I'm not up to date but for example I know that they recently made it harder for torrent sites and affiliate sites to be ranked (not as simple as that, but that's one gist of it).

•••
There are several generations of Penguin updates, last one was Penguin 3.0, but now I see people claiming there is 3.1 version rolling, so I ask if someone has monitored anything on their sites.

•••
There are several generations of Penguin updates, last one was Penguin 3.0, but now I see people claiming there is 3.1 version rolling, so I ask if someone has monitored anything on their sites.

I see, my mistake then. I haven't noticed anything different for my site.

•••
There's been a lot of SERP activity, but I don't think anything's confirmed yet. Google said they'd be refreshing Penguin more often - a couple of people who specialize in penalty removal are reporting client recoveries.

Impressions for a client site which was victim of a negative SEO attack and hit by 3.0 (and where I submitted a huge disavow file a few weeks ago) just shot up, but its still early and I haven't had time to examine it closely yet.

PS - Penguin 3.0 refresh rolled out a little more than a month ago. Penguin addresses spam primarily in the form of spammy links. If you remove bad links you won't see recovery until it refreshes - which between 2.whatever and 3.0 was about a YEAR.

•••
i though disavow files take longer to be taken into consideration, but gg there

•••
Disavow files are processed the next time the urls in them are crawled (per John Mu). You also now get a notification in webmaster tools when it's been processed.

•••
nothing crazy happening here so I am not sure what big G update is being rolled out!

•••
Google has told us many times that, they wouldn’t push out major updates during busy holiday seasons. So in my observation this cannot be true, no Penguin 3.1 rolled out. I can't believe what I am seeing and hearing - a Google Penguin refresh that hit

•••
Well something happened. Funny but Barry Schwartz used almost those exact same words ...https://www.seroundtable.com/google-penguin-3-1-thanksgiving-19504.html

See my earlier comment - a site under my control which took a very obvious hit from Penguin on 10/17 had a noticeable recovery this weekend. If you follow the links in that article or poke around on some of the seo forums, you'll see there was a lot of that going around.

•••
Yea and now Google confirmed it is still Penguin 3.0 rollout

•••
All those get Michael-koors-handbangs-outlets-onlinemarket.com and buy-nike-jersey-store-44-jordanshoes.in are probably the ones hit the hardest. If you have something worth while then you're probably still in good standing.

•••
Google confirmed - they're STILL rolling out 3.0 (6 weeks later???!!!). So hard to say if what some of us have seen is a recovery or a rollback of something. Need to wait until the dust settles.

All those get Michael-koors-handbangs-outlets-onlinemarket.tld and buy-nike-jersey-store-44-jordanshoes.tld are probably the ones hit the hardest. If you have something worth while then you're probably still in good standing.

Don't count on it.

Penguin focuses primarily on bad links / "link schemes", which these days means just about anything you built yourself. Template designers who had put a link in their template footers (which used to be a pretty common practice and there were no "rules" saying you couldn't) got hit hard on the first Penguin. Site I mentioned that was hit was a target of negative SEO. Site itself is clean, but in a niche where trying to bomb your competition pretty commonplace.

The spammers expect to be hit, and will just go to a new domain remove the links that were hit, build more.

•••
•••
There are no new updates to speak of - this post was from last year. Most recent:

Panda (thin content / low quality) 4.2 started a LONG rollout back in July. Rollout said to take "months" (2? 4? 6? nobody knows.) Slow rollout means no dramatic across-the-board changes.
Penguin (low quality links, link schemes) will be rolling out and supposedly run on a continuous basis starting 2016. Was supposed to happen late this year but they postponed it.
An unannounced update happened around 11/19 - suspected to be a Phantom (quality, trust) update.

•••
It is well-known on at least one Black Hat forum I read that Google will do manual checks on the top 20 sites for certain money keywords around this time. It is also assumed that they are cleaning up for the holidays, the time when everyone has their debit/credit cards out doing online shopping. A lot of online marketers, especially with sh*tty sites that rank all year long with aggressive back-linking campaigns get hit the hardest, forcing them to consider using Adwords to keep the momentum for the holidays.

This always seems to give favor for more popular shopping sites such as Amazon or Ebay.

•••
Not surprising.
Amazon and eBay surely have user metrics that blow the lesser-known marketers away. And they have the link profile without even having to try. Formidable metrics, high-trust ...tough competition as it is, unless you have a small targeted niche or a well-defined value proposition that they can't offer.
If you're swimming with the big fish and can't pass a manual review, that doesn't bode well for longevity.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back