Dynadot

advice Need Some Advice. New To Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AviName

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

I'm new in the domain game, been researching and learning for the last three months (and buying some bargain good names). I come from the digital marketing industry so have a good grasp of SEO, keywords, and everything else digital and web-based.

I have a few questions and would love to hear your thoughts:
1. For someone with not much time, a few hours a week max - do you think I can make some money buying expired domains and selling fast with no outbound efforts? Just placing on a marketplace or here on namepros with a BIN and hoping another domainer will see the value and buy?
2. Is there really any potential money in buying cheap expiring domains and then selling to other investors with no outbound efforts whatsoever? What do you think?
3. Is Afternic/Goddady a good place to sell with a BIN? is BIN a good way to sell fast with decent profit?

Thanks for your help!!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most sales reported here are not outbound https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-851#post-8098999

When you see a reported sale consider that the person has many more names they are holding for years without a single offer.

Domaining in my opinion is not a quick way to make money. The chances that a name you pick up on an expired list and selling it quickly is very low, seriously very unlikely.

Selling domains to domainers that you got on expiring list and be able to turn a profit fast is also not likely.

The people that make money consistently in this business have patience made of steel. They buy good names not just from expiring marketplaces and drops but by contacting domain owners and buying direct. They are ready to hold those names for many years until the right end-user shows up.

As with any industry some people luck out, but do not base your plans on luck.

And yes, for most names a BIN is your best option.

•••
Thanks a lot for the honest answer. I agree on the luck part, definitely not basing my plans on luck, but on a good understanding of domain names and mainly digital strategy. I’m not really looking to make quick easy money, but just want to know if a system like I mentioned could make me some money, even slowly (and maybe I’ll scale in the future).
Any other opinions?

•••
I provide my answers to each of your questions:

1. Yes, but not fast and definitely not if you have worthless names.

2. Yes, but not fast and definitely not if you have worthless names.

3. Yes, but not fast and definitely not if you have worthless names.

It happened to be the same answer for all three questions 😇

Last edited:
•••
You need a portfolio of quality and quantity if you want to make repeatable passive sales.

If you buy the right names, at the right price you will eventually hit a tipping point but it is unlikely to be easy or fast.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
It is possible to sell a name off an expired list. I had 2 of those last year. One sold for $3595 on its 60th day after I caught it. Other sold for $2500 a month after being caught. These are exceptions -most names you will hold long before you get takers.

As far as what you are suggesting— You really have to know branding and domaining inside and out before you can successfully routinely sell to other domainers. Other domainers are cheap so don’t expect the profits I mentioned above. Those were end users. Other domainers also want the world’s best names for peanuts.

You should buy in niches you understand fully and have knowledge in to start with imo. Successful flipping is increased the lower you set your prices. Example $500 or under better chance to flip quickly if the name is any good.

But not here. Here you can expect to be offered $10 to $50.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks a lot, this is some great advice!
From what I’m gathering it’s possible to make passive money this way. I only buy on the marketing/digital niche as that’s what I know best and believe I could make profits.

Question is, who can I sell to. If I try and sell to end users it might take months/years but I’ll get a good price. If I sell as a quick flip for other domainers I might get a quick sell but not much profit. Is that correct? Also what’s the best place to sell for both of these methods?

Thank you everyone!

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
List your names on all marketplaces to start with a BIN on only one.

I have my domains at Afternic with Buy It Now prices and at Sedo, DAN, and Domain Agents with Make Offers.

You can look in the Namepros section Requesting Domains to see if your names match their criteria to sell on here.

Sedo has different types of monthly auctions you can submit your domains to etc.

Good luck!

Last edited:
•••
Hi everyone,

I'm new in the domain game, been researching and learning for the last three months (and buying some bargain good names). I come from the digital marketing industry so have a good grasp of SEO, keywords, and everything else digital and web-based.

I have a few questions and would love to hear your thoughts:
1. For someone with not much time, a few hours a week max - do you think I can make some money buying expired domains and selling fast with no outbound efforts? Just placing on a marketplace or here on namepros with a BIN and hoping another domainer will see the value and buy?
2. Is there really any potential money in buying cheap expiring domains and then selling to other investors with no outbound efforts whatsoever? What do you think?
3. Is Afternic/Goddady a good place to sell with a BIN? is BIN a good way to sell fast with decent profit?

Thanks for your help!!!
I'm new as well but I'd say that there is definitely a fair chance at making money in the industry especially with a digital marketing background. Domain selling is just like selling anything else: if you can market it well and get it to the right people, you'll have no problem making money.

As everyone else mentioned though, it's not a likely for most of us newbies to strike oil after a few swings. The ROI on most domains is pretty slow.

I don't get why you wouldn't wanna do outbound with a marketing background though. I get that you only have a few hours a week but with your experience, you could easily break the workload up into smaller little segments to get done through the week. 2 hours a day is still 14 hours a week, 56 hours a month, 672 a year. That's tons of time to get stuff done.

Even if you cut that time by half or 3/4, you'll still be getting a lot done if you manage your time well. Sure, it'll be slower than you might want but you could get it done if you have the grit.

As with investing in any industry though, just don't spend more than you can lose and do what you can.

Last edited:
•••
welcome to NP
  • Since you know SEO, you can look at domain traffic, search rankings and so on
    The destination of domain name is end users. If it has good end users, domain name is worth money naturally

•••
Thanks for all the help! So from what I understand from all the different answers, the only profitable way to sell domains is to sell to end users, not to other domainers. This obviously will take much longer than quickly flipping to other domainers. Would you agree with this?

•••
Thanks for all the help! So from what I understand from all the different answers, the only profitable way to sell domains is to sell to end users, not to other domainers. This obviously will take much longer than quickly flipping to other domainers. Would you agree with this?
Any thougts?

•••
Answer to your questions-
1. Buying expired domains is a great way to go. I invest in them but for other reasons I will not share (it's my business secret). But you will need some good tools to investigate these domain names because the last thing you want to do is invest in a dud.The history of an expired domain name is sooooooo important, I can't stress enough.

There are so many people who have used expired domains in a black hat way so you have to be careful and diligent about what you choose. Do your homework.

2.No matter how you try to slice the pie, you will need to nurture your business. You will have to do some outbound work. Don't depend on these after markets to do the work for you. You have products that you want to sell, outbound on your end is a MUST. And the less desirable your domain name is, the more effort you have to put in. Desirable domains typically sell themselves with little help.

3. All marketplaces aren't created equal. I think the best thing you should do is learn to master one and then move on to another.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back