new gtlds Mike Berkens Drops 5 Figures for Probably the Top .Dating Domain Name

Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Mike Berkens picked up the best domain in my opinion in the .dating extension. He announced on Twitter that he picked up the name on EAP Day 1, so that makes this a five figure purchase.

Full story

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Tinder
OkCupid
PlentyOfFish
online.dating
Badoo
Match.com
eHarmony

Which of these does not belong? It's a fair question for the domain considering what he paid for it. Anyone paying that kind of money for a domain (whether he develops it or resells it) is obviously shooting for the stars with the project.

"Online dot Dating" as a brand has no soul. I suppose Match.com doesn't either, but that was built up back when keywords with extensions as part of the brand were common. Perhaps we will come back around to that in the future, but there are no indications of that at this time.

So I'm going with stupid purchase price on this one.

Last edited:
•••
If I remember well he made a nice flip on meet.me or something like that.
Perhaps that makes him confident he can repeat the feat once more.

I agree with the above, the domain name has no soul and the major dating websites are heavily branded. In fact the word dating is avoid.
Personally I think paying premium regfee (and worse, premium renewal) is a high-risk proposition.

•••
If I hear that Farmers Only jingle one more time I'll throw something lol

But yeah there not going to be an "Online dot Dating" jingle And I think people don't want hear the word 'online' when participating. Feels actually an avoid at all cost word in dating branding.

So it feels more portal type of development to find the right dating site for you.

Premium renewal is the scourge of domaining. That once a year whipping.

•••
Berkens has a good track record of selling igloos to Polar bears; he may already have a buyer lined up.

Amazing seller.

:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back