NameSilo

Legal Issue on .tv

Spaceship
Watch
A puzzler for you guys

I am aware of the ICANN regs, but can anyone tell me where we stand if we purchase a .tv domain that is a personal forename, but the letters that make up that name also form the name of a company?

Have we a right to register it or not? I'd appreciate your views!

Cheers

LBM

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My first thought on this is that if you have a right to that name (ie- It is your name) and you don't use the domain for a similar commercial purpose to that of the company in question, then it would be okay.

•••
Thanks Anthony

That sits well with my thoughts on the issue. It is my name, but coincidentally it also stands for Indo Asian News Service, so you can see that 'ian's.tv' might be viewed as a very attractive proposition for this media based company, which has extensive interests in TV.

As you know, many .tv's are springing up as media based sites.

Cheers

Ian

•••
Right, .tv uses the same UDRP as does .com/.net/.org

You can read up here
http://www.tv/en-def-ec12b66e4989/en/policies/dispute.shtml

Bottom line is if you have legitimate rights to the domain you can own it regardless if there are other companys that also may have legitimate rights to the same term. With ians.tv, if your name is Ian, then you should be in the clear.

•••
Many thanks RJ!

I read up a great deal on an earlier occasion, because someone came the heavy treatment with me, but thankfully my time spent studying ICANN paid off, as I won my case and they ended up paying me $2800

I have no intention of parting with ians.tv unless I'm made an offer I cant refuse :) Thanks again

LBM

Cheers

•••
Great Ian, so you're good to go then! :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back