IT.COM

Dotster - Register .COM Domain Name only $2.39

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

luantt

Top Member
Impact
Dotster.com is now running a special promotion on new .COM domain registration – just from only $2.39 for the first year.

Currently, price is $2.99/year but you can use coupon code SALE20 to get additional discount to $2.39. This seem unlimited, can make payment with PayPal.

Hurry, this promotion won't last long.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Be aware! I got this message after checking out with Paypal...
"
You are now successfully enrolled into PayPal Automatic Payments for this payment and all future payments for your Dotster products and services.

"

I would imagine this is their attempt at auto-renewing the domains registered during the promotion.

•••
This is the first time I register a domain with Dotster, too. Everything looks like Domain.com.

•••
Be aware! I got this message after checking out with Paypal...
"
You are now successfully enrolled into PayPal Automatic Payments for this payment and all future payments for your Dotster products and services.
Probably a good idea to set max limit/mo. that Dotster can withdraw from your PayPal account.

•••
Overall bad first experience, the savings are overshadowed by a 10 step process to log into the account which gives you no indication of your username or password. I had to use the domain I registered, which became my username, then had to reset my password with absurdly high requirements (2 numbers and 1 symbol!) Then have to manually verify each domains by waiting for a confirmation email, which has not released the domain after being verified.

•••
Overall bad first experience, the savings are overshadowed by a 10 step process to log into the account which gives you no indication of your username or password. I had to use the domain I registered, which became my username, then had to reset my password with absurdly high requirements (2 numbers and 1 symbol!) Then have to manually verify each domains by waiting for a confirmation email, which has not released the domain after being verified.

in short.. same crappy process as domain.com
their UI definitely need a complete rework.
question remains.. is it worth the trouble for the savings your getting

•••
anyone knows if this 3$ promo on dotster is for transfers too???

•••
in short.. same crappy process as domain.com
their UI definitely need a complete rework.
question remains.. is it worth the trouble for the savings your getting

I'm going to say it's worse than domain.com, honestly. Just searching for a name takes 30 to 50 seconds because they load every extension alongside "premium domains" and other suggestions.

•••
I just reg'd 10 names.. They sent me a confirmation for the order by mail, with my dotster username, but how do I set my password?

•••
I just reg'd 10 names.. They sent me a confirmation for the order by mail, with my dotster username, but how do I set my password?

That's what took me the longest, you have to change it in order to set it. Pick one of the domains your registered and recover your password.

•••
I'm going to say it's worse than domain.com, honestly. Just searching for a name takes 30 to 50 seconds because they load every extension alongside "premium domains" and other suggestions.

hmm.. worse than domain.com
that does not sound good then.

domain.com has bulk reg tool.. so no need ot search one by one

are you saying dotster has no such tool?

•••
hmm.. worse than domain.com
that does not sound good then.

domain.com has bulk reg tool.. so no need ot search one by one

are you saying dotster has no such tool?
I couldn't find one..

•••
I got on chat about 2 hrs ago and they said the promo is *probably* good for 2 more days. Also they said good for as many COMs as you want AND if they run the promo again later, you can get more, not just a one time or first customer special.

I also confirmed they had no "gotcha" later on, if they had a "transfer out" fee if I want to transfer out to another registrar later and they said no.

HOWEVER, I stopped because I could not figure out how to set up an account without making a purchase and it sounds like a lot of hassle. I prefer to register for an account first so I can at least see what the UI looks like.

I will proly try it later today anyway just for giggles, I have a short maybe wish list I keep and I wouldn't care if any of those names were taken and I can wait on them 60 days if it totally sucks.

Nice 20% bonus savings @luantt - thanks!

•••
I got on chat about 2 hrs ago and they said the promo is *probably* good for 2 more days. Also they said good for as many COMs as you want AND if they run the promo again later, you can get more, not just a one time or first customer special.

I also confirmed they had no "gotcha" later on, if they had a "transfer out" fee if I want to transfer out to another registrar later and they said no.

HOWEVER, I stopped because I could not figure out how to set up an account without making a purchase and it sounds like a lot of hassle. I prefer to register for an account first so I can at least see what the UI looks like.

I will proly try it later today anyway just for giggles, I have a short maybe wish list I keep and I wouldn't care if any of those names were taken and I can wait on them 60 days if it totally sucks.

Nice 20% bonus savings @luantt - thanks!

ok tnx for info
sounds like exact same process as domain.com
it was painful to get started there.. so not sure if I'll do it here.
maybe.

I'd actually totally join in on this if it applied to .com transfers too.. but I just asked them and it does not :)

cheers

•••
Just spent a few minutes adding 10 domains, it logged me out, restarted the whole process. While checking out it must have logged me out again because the payment went through and no domains in my account... When it sounds too good, guys! Will update as soon as it's resolved.

•••
It seems the site simply created a new account after all... All domains are mine though. I highly suggest registering them one at a time and MAKE SURE you are logged in.

•••
@alcy I saw elsewhere $1 transfers at Rebel limit 3, methinks you have more than that thou. I am considering that deal as well. Or wait til next year namecheap $4 transfer day

I also think you proly know all these already : smile :

•••
I always used bulk reg tool on domain.com worked good for me

I take it its confirmed dotster does not have such tool.

•••
@alcy I saw elsewhere $1 transfers at Rebel limit 3, methinks you have more than that thou. I am considering that deal as well. Or wait til next year namecheap $4 transfer day

I also think you proly know all these already : smile :

yes thanks for headsup. I am on rebel. and knew of this 3max promo.
good promo. too bad only 3max.

and yes.. namecheap is good on transfer day.. $4. if you shop around and put time, u can save a lot of money on transfers/renewals annually.. price to pay for that is being on several registrars. happy hunting!

Last edited:
•••
Domain.com and dotster seem to.be related. I have over 100 domains with Domain.com and no problems at all. You can set all your domains do manual renewal and they will not charge you automatically , also you can cancel the paypal agreement. I habe 15 domains at Dotster and no problems too.

•••
The worst thing is that you need to change the registration period to one year ONE BY ONE, and it takes at least 2 minutes per domain. I want to register 37 names at the moment, so it's going to be awfully slow.

•••
Yes that and the auto addition of the privacy are two bad things I hatr about them

•••
The worst thing is that you need to change the registration period to one year ONE BY ONE, and it takes at least 2 minutes per domain. I want to register 37 names at the moment, so it's going to be awfully slow.

well.. the guys who want to reg many domains like some dude with 1000 don't think they do it one by one.

so just do like they do and call up dotster or email them the list u want to reg and they'll do it for yuo.

•••
20% off coupon is no longer working FYI

•••
Is it still working with you guys?

every time I add domains to cart and try to checkout - I get an empty page without the domains I picked.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back