Dynadot

Desktop PC - HDD or HDD Plus SSD or SSD Only

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I'm not the most tech guy but I'm getting a new PC, have a bunch of credit at Dell.

My past computers were all HDD only.

I'm also seeing some with Storage - 512 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD

I'm also seeing some with SSD only.

Now, I know SSD are faster and last longer and I have those for external drives, so it seems to be obvious choice for PC but just double checking.

So
HDD only or
SSD only or
HDD and SSD
?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have both but my opinion is to have just SSD

Last edited:
•••
HDD is like Floppy disks, and CDs.
Hybrid is like “half assing”

My laptop is 100% SSD (1TB) works beautifully.

SSD has no moving parts… Starts faster. So much better. Go for 1 TB+ SSD

Last edited:
•••
I recommend this $1,599 Laptop at Costco…
I wish i had the money for it…
How many years until this is obsolete?
2TB SSD, and 32GB RAM Nvidia 4060 RTX for $1,599.

IMG_7122.jpeg

https://www.costco.com/hp-envy-16"-touchscreen-laptop---13th-gen-intel-core-i7-13700h---geforce-rtx-4060---wqxga-2560-x-1600-48-120hz.product.4000178875.html

Last edited:
•••
I know you have Dell credit.
Hope you can get over your Dell bias.
Easy for me to say, i prefer HP over Dell, Dell would somehow, charge nearly double same. But i’m looking best value, and this is Costco, lol. Anyway, good luck JB. -I hate Dell; they charge most… Makes it tougher for me.

How much Dell credit do you have?

Last edited:
•••
Depends on your budget.
A PC with SSD alone is good but it would be pricey
Install your system in the SSD, and keep the HDD for other storage things

•••
I know you have Dell credit.
Hope you can get over your Dell bias.
Easy for me to say, i prefer HP over Dell, Dell would somehow, charge nearly double same. But i’m looking best value, and this is Costco, lol. Anyway, good luck JB. -I hate Dell; they charge most… Makes it tougher for me.

How much Dell credit do you have?
Desktop not laptop. Have no idea about HP laptops but I know somebody that has HP desktop and I can't stand them. Usually I just get the latest Dell XPS model. Mine was acting up last night but seems to be ok day after I cleared cookies/cache and such but I'm just getting ready for the day it dies. I usually ride with my desktops until they die off. My previous one last about 6.5 years, this one I have now is almost 6 years old.

So they've been great for me overall, also top ranked in Consumer Reports. Top 3 are:

HP Envy TE01-4254 Computer - 86 score
Dell XPS 8960-7409BLK Computer - 82 score
Dell XPS 8960-7879BLK Computer - 81 score

will take a look at that HP

----------
As far as Dell XPS - https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/sr/desktops/xps-desktops?~ck=bt

They actually have a 1 TB SSD for $1,059 but intel graphics.

I usually get the latest model, at least 16gb RAM, the best graphics card they have to offer over there, at least 1 TB storage. I may up the RAM and storage this time.

This is what I have now bought in 2018:

Dell™ XPS 8910 Desktop PC, Intel® Core™ i7, 16GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows® 10

Last edited:
•••
This is the part that confuses me, if true:

"The lifespan of an SSD isn't as long as that of an HDD, but you can certainly use an SSD as your only drive on a PC. Many laptops only have SSD storage, for example. You're not looking at a short-term life, but compared to HDD storage, it is reduced. SSDs don't handle being written to as well over time, but a boot drive wouldn't suffer this."

https://www.windowscentral.com/ssd-vs-hdd-which-should-i-have-my-pc

I know SSD is faster, it's more expensive.

I want something that will last. Article says get the combo. Operating system on the SSD, other stuff on the HDD

•••
This is the part that confuses me, if true:

"The lifespan of an SSD isn't as long as that of an HDD, but you can certainly use an SSD as your only drive on a PC. Many laptops only have SSD storage, for example. You're not looking at a short-term life, but compared to HDD storage, it is reduced. SSDs don't handle being written to as well over time, but a boot drive wouldn't suffer this."

https://www.windowscentral.com/ssd-vs-hdd-which-should-i-have-my-pc

I know SSD is faster, it's more expensive.

I want something that will last. Article says get the combo. Operating system on the SSD, other stuff on the HDD
Nothing lives forever… Pros outweigh the cons. SSD also not loud, (no fan) does not overheat… (no moving parts as i said.. and fastest start-up)

Invest in a backup, my friend. i use “pCloud.com”
I paid hundreds of dollars; 2TB lifetime storage for this.

The good news is it’s a legitimate business completely unaffiliated with epik. The bad news is; we have similar concerns (viability of “lifetime deals”) I rolled the dice on this one; and i’m still winning; put digital life there; so if PC and or Desktop and or flash drive fail; you be ready.

Last edited:
•••
Desktop died right at the 6 year mark, got a new one. 500GB SSD/2 TB HDD. Works great.

I need to learn now how to automate some backups on certain files/folders so I don't lose months of work. I've been doing backups manually to external drives.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back