IT.COM

Building My Own Computer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I'm gonna build my own computer... And i don't mean by going to someplace like Alienware.com and picking everything i want and getting it made custom. I mean i'm going to go out on many different occations and purchase the different parts and assemble it at home. I want to know if anyone has done this, what they've learned. And any tips you may have.

Also i want wondering if anyone has had any experiance with AMD processors... and what you know about motherboards... the different brands and such and which one you guys would suggest.

I have a friend who works at staples business depot and he gets MAJOR discounts so i will be buying most of my stuff through him. He's getting me a Gf4Mx420 (i think) for 50 dollars and it comes with a 30 dollar rebate ontop of that... pretty sweet eh?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm say don't get the GeForce4 MX get a Ti. I have a MX and the GeForce3 Tis out do it. You also want a card with 128MB DDR memory. AMDs are great chips only bad thing about them is they run hot so if you plan on useing AMD make sure you get a good fan and heatsink and a good case with good air flow and many fans or you can go with water cooling up to you. As for motherboards some good ones would be Asus, Gigabyte, MIS, and SOYO just to name a few.

•••
the reason i'm going with the gf4mx right now is because in the end this card will cost me 20-30 dollars... the Ti's are roughly 3-600 dollars... and some are even more expensive... So i think for now i'll stick with the really cheap mx.

And yes, i'll be looking into some good fan system. I don't want to get into Water cooling quiet yet but i have seen some really nice fans around. I was looking at some cool fans over at Cool CPU. They all look pretty decent, though i think the first 2 things on my list for now is a Case and Motherboard/Processor, then i'll get into Videocard, Soundcard, and cooling system, and whatever else i need... ram, drives, etc..

•••
I built my own computer with used parts. It's not totally up to date or anything, but works and cost me a total of 15 cents americana.

I have an old AMD and even with the old one it warms my room a couple degrees during winter. Being that you're farther north than me(possibley, I suppose there is a bit of Canada that's further south than where I'm at) that shouldn't bother you too much! =D

•••
You can get Tis for less then $200 but yeah $20 to $30 that is a good card.

•••
Actually we are roughly at the same level northward seeing as i'm in Nova Scotia which is slightly lower then the straight part of the canada/us boarder depending on how you look at it.

•••
UPS, you gotta remember, I live in canada. 200 to you guys is 304.61 to us. Though its still not that much, i think for now i'll go for the 20-30 dollar mx card.

•••
I`ve built 2 computers.. one, mine.. has a celeron :/ and the other has an athlon.. I had a P3, but I didn`t build the computer that was in. It`s pretty easy to build one.. and they come out 100 times better than they would if they were factory made.. they don`t always take the time to check everything. My P3 was crap because of that.. I suggest you get parts from pricewatch.. they`re cheap and good. The only thing I won`t buy there is a monitor and that`s just because I can`t see what it looks like and it`d be a lot of shipping, if they charged shipping for the item that is. :D

•••
A friend of mine told me about www.ncix.com which is a canadian site (so i don't have to convert currencys) which also has american prices. But they are OEM, meaning the company buys them wholesale and then sells them individually without the retail boxes or manuals. Its cheep, but not for beginners. I'm thinking of getting a bunch of stuff there. But now i gotta match up a Processor with a decent Mobo that'll be compatible with anything i decide to add.

•••
if you want a beginners set.. find a place that sells cheap barebones kits. that way most of the harder stuff is done for you. :d

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back