NameSilo

A new appraisal method...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

skyraider

Browsing the InterwebnetVIP Member
Impact
Hey everyone,

Recently, many appraisals here at NP have been based around what the appraiser thinks the value of the domain name is to a reseller and to an end user. That's good, but it may not be all that helpful to the owner of the domain being appraised. Why?

The real value of a domain is what it sells for.
If you think that someone else may pay $250 (low $xxx) for a domain, but you're a frequent domain buyer and you're only willing to pay $25, then you should state that in the post. Tell the owner what you would pay, even if it's only $5. Here's why: if 5-15 appraisers are only willing to pay $5, the domain is likely worth $5 in the reseller market.

Example: if your domain recieves 10 appraisals, and 8 people say that it's only worth $10 because they aren't looking to develop a website around such a topic, then it gives the owner a good idea of what the domain is actually worth to domain resellers.

However, if the two remaining appraisers would pay $xxx because they plan to develop a website around that topic or may be interested in or capable of doing so, then the owner has an idea of approximately what percentage of the domain/website development market his or her domain name is marketable to.

Summary: tell the owner of a domain what you personally would pay for the domain, no matter how low, because a domain is only worth what it sells for.

Your thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If i listened to every appraisal I got over the years I would have been out of this business years ago. Then again if I listened to a handfull of them I would have a fatter wallet. Take from this what you will.

•••
Sublime.Name said:
If i listened to every appraisal I got over the years I would have been out of this business years ago. Then again if I listened to a handfull of them I would have a fatter wallet. Take from this what you will.

My point is that we need to give domain owners an idea of what their domain is actually worth in the "local" (i.e. NamePros, SitePoint... domain forums in general) reseller market, in addition to the traditional appraisal valuations, which include what 'you think' that the value of the name might be in the eyes of another reseller, and what the developed value/end user value will be.

•••
There's no real method to tell what ANY name is worth. I could almost guarantee if I posted a recent three word name I sold for $2000 here for appraisal I would get $xx reseller $xxx end-user. In fact I offered it to someone just days before for $40 and they declined. You're going to get these same appraisals on any name that isn't one word or three letter etc. I have another similar name in the negotiation process that I intend to double that price on and would get the same appraisal for it.

Last edited:
•••
Sublime.Name said:
There's no real method to tell what ANY name is worth. I could almost guarantee if I posted a recent three word name I sold for $2000 here for appraisal I would get $xx reseller $xxx end-user. In fact I offered it to someone just days before for $40 and they declined. You're going to get these same appraisals on any name that isn't one word or three letter etc. I have another similar name in the negotiation process that I intend to double that price on and would get the same appraisal for it.

I bet that your name is being sold at Afternic or Sedo, though... right?

•••
Vewry good text. Thankyou!

•••
Sublime.Name said:

I agree,The market trend and what a person is willing to pay for the name is unpredictable,The market goes up and down.One week poker names are selling high,The next week they will drop off a bit,There are endusers out there that will pay premuim for a name because they fully intend to start development immediatly after aquiaring the name.So there is no real solution as far as appraising goes IMO.But it does give you a feel for how others view the appeal of a name,But most buyers here buy at wholesale prices.So if i said i would pay x amount of dollars for a name,That would'nt be accurate because i only buy at wholesale.

•••
Some nice advice there Sky. I agree with that. This way people get a feel for the market of their domain, at that point in time. Rather than trying to estimate the value.

•••
skyraider said:
I bet that your name is being sold at Afternic or Sedo, though... right?

Actually no both of those are end-user. One contacted me and the other I contacted.

•••
Sublime.Name said:
Actually no both of those are end-user. One contacted me and the other I contacted.

Oh, ok. Nice :)

We're looking at the wholesale/reseller market here, though.

•••
The idea would work well if we had hundreds of thousands of people to give is decent statistics. The problem is with that system 90% of the names posted for apreasial would get a $0 vote from me. I'm not interested in buying an developing them, and I'm not interested in speculating on them. If I were, I would have registered them myself. Still, I can do 30 seconds of research and come up with something with some useful comments.

•••
primacomputer said:
The idea would work well if we had hundreds of thousands of people to give is decent statistics. The problem is with that system 90% of the names posted for apreasial would get a $0 vote from me. I'm not interested in buying an developing them, and I'm not interested in speculating on them. If I were, I would have registered them myself. Still, I can do 30 seconds of research and come up with something with some useful comments.

So domain would be worth $0 to resellers like you. You should tell that to the owner, because he/she will know that the domain may not do well in the reseller market.

•••
I like the idea, sky.
The one drawback is that I'm not too keen to publically announce how much I'd pay for any given domain, and especially one that I might really end up buying.
Still, the point on app methods is good.
-Allan

•••
Posting what YOU would pay for a domain basically is a non binding auction, and not an appraisal.

As others posted before you only pay if you are interested in the name.
IMO a appraiser should exactly NOT post his/her bid.
An appraisel should always at least try to make a median value regarding many factors, but never ever what you the appraiser would pay.
(You only may add this as footnote to a appraisal, if you are interested in the domain)

Any appraisal method is only a very rugh estimation.
If you ask for appraisals in a trader forum you will get trader/reseller appraisals, wich are mostly not bad if you want to sell to a reseller, but....
who wants to sell to a reseller ?

There comes the problem.. end users may pay huge money for domains they want/need (if you find the right end user).
And this is like looking in a cristal ball.

I always get surprises from the domains I appraise.
E.g. last month a friend asked me to sell zazo_com for him.
I told him if he is lucky I could make a 300-500$ for him putting some hours of work in it.
The surprise was, 1 week after I was able to tell him that I got a confirmed buyer for 5000€ =6400$ ---> :bingo:
He had to take me out to the best restaurant in town ;)

IMO, there is no real way or method to appraise domains at end user rates.

Last edited:
•••
nRnF said:
Any appraisal method is only a very rugh estimation.
If you ask for appraisals in a trader forum you will get trader/reseller appraisals, wich are mostly not bad if you want to sell to a reseller, but....
who wants to sell to a reseller ?

There comes the problem.. end users may pay huge money for domains they want/need (if you find the right end user)

I always get surprises from the domains I appraise.
E.g. last month a friend asked me to sell zazo_com for him.
I told him if he is lucky I could make a 300-500$ for him putting some hours of work in it.
The surprise was, 1 week after I was able to tell him that I got a confirmed buyer for 5000€ =6400$ ---> :bingo:
He had to take me out to the best restaurant in town ;)
(PS: and zazo_info is still unregged)

IMO, there is no real way or method to appraise domains at end user rates, and the ppl that charge for an appraisal like this have easy money.

Yep - the value of a domain is what it sells for. Good example :)

I devised my method to help me appraise domains in the reseller market, since many domains that are being appraised at "Low to mid $xx" are really selling for $x here at NP.

Nice job with your sale, btw!

Do you guys think that the reseller market may be disentigrating as reseller value on many domains drops to zero? I have seen few buys or sales lately.

•••
skyraider said:
...Do you guys think that the reseller market may be disentigrating as reseller value on many domains drops to zero? I have seen few buys or sales lately.
IMO many zero domains got registered recently ;)
Most of the 1000+ sales aren't eaven knowen.

Last edited:
•••
skyraider said:
So domain would be worth $0 to resellers like you. You should tell that to the owner, because he/she will know that the domain may not do well in the reseller market.
Quite frankly I don't think he would care what the name is worth to me. I'm one out of thousands of potential buyers here. But while I may not be interested in the name I may know that it could sell to an end user for $50-$100. I'd rather give him that information.

•••
Nice post, skyraider. I've often considered using this method of appraising since I often come across names that I would be willing to purchase for the right price.

The downside is that I generally would not buy a domain that I have no current use for at its full value. Yes, I am always willing to buy ANY name at below value, but for me to say "I would pay $500 right now" for a name I know to be worth far more than that doesn't seem to be very constructive to me as an appraisal. Or would that be helpful?

As a standing policy anyway, I'm almost always willing to pay at least 20% of the reseller value at which I appraise any name.

•••
Yeah, nice post sky.

Being a person who for months has got both frustrated by some appraisals and then shot down by my peers for criticising their methods i think the new questionaire scheme is a good start...

I always appraise at the value of what i would sell the name for (if i owned it) rather than what you might get in a bazaar auction e.g.

And on a separate point i still cant see why anyone would join a forum on a subject to which they had no experience or knowledge of and then start appraising .... Always baffles me that one

•••
The downside is that I generally would not buy a domain that I have no current use for at its full value. Yes, I am always willing to buy ANY name at below value, but for me to say "I would pay $500 right now" for a name I know to be worth far more than that doesn't seem to be very constructive to me as an appraisal. Or would that be helpful?

You would also want to include the situation in which it would be worth more. Your appraisal could help the domain owner if he/she realizes that the name isn't worth too much to a reseller who has no development plans for it. But there ARE some names that are just good, no matter what is on it (unless it's a profitable biz).

I always appraise at the value of what i would sell the name for (if i owned it) rather than what you might get in a bazaar auction e.g.

That would also work nicely - if you sell alot of domains for the price you post it at... do you?

•••
Never sell any domains for less than i paid for it... Why..??

I even renew all my domains (700 odd at last count), for i make so much in development and affiliate earnings the $6 renewal is a pittance in comparison

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back