NameSilo

VeriSign's rapid DNS update goes live today (Supposedly)

Spaceship
Watch

Dave_Z

Electrifying GuyTop Member
Impact
Okay guys, VeriSign's rapid DNS update goes live today
as their site says.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask you guys a favor.

When any of you do DNS changes to any domain name,
could you note when you did it and how soon it was
able to resolve to your intended destination? (i.e.
website, email, etc.).

Afterwards, note it here. That way, we'll be able to get
feedback how it REALLY is.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
hmmm no rapid updates yet....

•••
Haven't tried changing my nameserver's yet, maybe someone has some better news for us?

•••
I tried it this morning (Sept 8 @ 11am) and it's still not updated (sept 8 @ 8pm) EST time

so much for rapid DNS :(

•••
It took a little over 8 hours on my end with an enom registered domain. Thats not too bad I guess.

•••
You have to factor in the caching of DNS by your ISP.

•••
Mine was a .com registered on Domainsite... maybe it's their fault

•••
Hmm still no luck here I changed whois records on domains and name servers at several registrars and I see no rapid updating...

verisign is a crock

•••
I just contacted Verisign:
DNS Assurance Services
Phone: 650-426-5310

They stated the implementation was in place as of around 8am Eastern this morning and that registrars will now need to modify there process of sending updates to the registry and make them go instantly for users to benefit from the Rapid DNS otherwise a lot of Registrars will continue to use a "Batching Process".

•••
NH-Benjamin said:
I just contacted Verisign:
DNS Assurance Services
Phone: 650-426-5310

They stated the implementation was in place as of around 8am Eastern this morning and that registrars will now need to modify there process of sending updates to the registry and make them go instantly for users to benefit from the Rapid DNS otherwise a lot of Registrars will continue to use a "Batching Process".

I thought as much. But despite that, ideally propagation
should still be a wee bit quicker since VeriSign will now
receive the changes more frequently unlike before.

Sounds like for some it's working, for others it isn't...yet.

Like what radistar said, you have to factor in your ISP
caching as well in order to see the changes in your end.

Last edited:
•••
Does any one know what registars have the rapid DNS going yet?

•••
I just changed the nameservers on a domain at godaddy and within a few minutes it seems to have updated. Checking the whois at some other registrars it shows it has changed also, and last updated with today's date.

•••
P10n33R said:
Does any one know what registars have the rapid DNS going yet?

A little clarification: it's only VeriSign that has recently
implemented its rapid DNS updating. But propagation
still also requires how soon each domain registrar sends
the changes in & how soon your local ISP queries the
root servers & updates its cache to accept the change.

Some registrars sends domain record changes in real
time like Tucows and Bulkregister while others do so in
batches like eNom (I think).

•••
I have a domain at Name.com which I bought this week just for an email address. I changed the nameservers to point to my email provider about an hour ago and it has fully propogated and is now up and running. That is pretty fast to me for a .com.

•••
swirven said:
I have a domain at Name.com which I bought this week just for an email address. I changed the nameservers to point to my email provider about an hour ago and it has fully propogated and is now up and running. That is pretty fast to me for a .com.

Apparently it's now working. It just needed time for "everyone"
to get the feel.

Great going, guys! I hate to admit it, but this is one time the
people at VeriSign finally did something good...for a change!

•••
I just changed nameservers at godaddy and it took less than 1 hour for the change...WOW!!!

•••
Heh, lucky, GD's dns changing scripts are still screwd up. They havent figured out how to actually change a dns setting I put in 2 weeks ago. Already called them, they are stumped.

Now not to mention, since the above announcement, several of my domains no longer works... bah!

•••
I bought a name from someone and had it up on my server as a site in less than an hour. Call Guiness! Godaddy is registrar.

I love this Rapid DNS

•••
It works for me too :). Recently regged a trademarked domain and it went live in less than 2 hours.

•••
IT is working very well

I have noticed almost instant results

Your ISP may not notice immediately to check how fast it really is go to www.the-cloak.com and enter your new domain or new nameservers they will show you how fast. I have seen a new reg pointed at new nameservers in under 5 minutes

•••
a few names a godaddy i had to change where instant.....they were resolved in all of 2 minutes i would say....GOOD STUFF

•••
Bought a domain today and had the site live within MINUTES.. awesome!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back