Domain Empire

Be careful with servage.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
they tend to oversell on their bandwidth, the reason i signed up with them is because I was attracted with the bandwidth their offering and the fast response of Steffan from www.servage.net

the first month is ok, but when you're trying to get lots of forum posts, and uploads, then the problem comes.

see the proof of their email, I managed to save the full headers as proof. I was not able to report all at once because at that time Im still hosted with them and been trying to get a good alternative host. Just judge from their emails, was there server hacked and the hacker sends a suspension notice to all the members, or are they doing it themselves?

=======

Subject: High Load - Account Suspended

Sender: <[email protected]>

To: [email protected]

X-Eon-DM: dm11

X-Msmail-Priority: High

X-Priority: 1

Received: from www.servage.net (62.214.98.126 [62.214.98.126])by dm11.mta.everyone.net (EON-INBOUND) with ESMTP id dm11.435c576b.e6e83dfor <[email protected]>; Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:51:10 -0700 (PDT)

from www.servage.net (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])by www.servage.net (8.12.5/8.12.5) with ESMTP id j9RMp9qN009272for <[email protected]>; Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:51:09 GMT

(from root@localhost)by www.servage.net (8.12.5/8.12.5/Submit) id j9RMp8nI009270;Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:51:08 GMT

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Mime-Version: 1.0

Reply-To: [email protected]

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:51:08 GMT

X-Mailer: Servage Order System

Message-Id: <[email protected]>

Dear Customer,

I'm afraid I have bad news for you. We have been forced to
take your account offline for the day due to an extremely high
load on your account. The last 30 minutes our servers served
more than 101208 requests for your account.

As stated in our terms of service we are allowed to take
offline accounts which harm other customers. In your case we
have determined that it would badly affect other customers
if we kept your site online. Therefore we have temporarily
suspended your account. We will lift the suspension at
approximately 01.00 GMT.

If you have any questions please submit a support ticket via
the control panel and our support staff will be happy to answer
any questions you may have.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Steffan, http://www.servage.net

=====
Subject: Wrongful Suspension Notice

Sender: <[email protected]>

To: [email protected]

X-Eon-DM: dm12

Received: from www.servage.net (62.214.98.126 [62.214.98.126])by dm12.mta.everyone.net (EON-INBOUND) with ESMTP id dm12.435c576e.e8f88bfor <[email protected]>; Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:18:18 -0700 (PDT)

from www.servage.net (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])by www.servage.net (8.12.5/8.12.5) with ESMTP id j9S0IHqN015489for <[email protected]>; Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:18:17 GMT

(from root@localhost)by www.servage.net (8.12.5/8.12.5/Submit) id j9S0IHDa015487;Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:18:17 GMT

Return-Path: <[email protected]>

Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

Mime-Version: 1.0

Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:18:17 GMT

Message-Id: <[email protected]>

We have been informed by a number of users that they have received a wrongful suspension notice. Your site should not have been suspended.

This situation is very unfortunate and we are working hard to find out why the email was sent out. We are taking this situation very seriously and no brick will be left unturned!

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Steffan, Servage Hosting

========

the second email they sent seems promising but no work done about it. What's very frustrating about this is still they denied that they are the one responsible for taking my web site offline. I must have taught during those times Im talking to different persons but it's not.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not beware, you were simply overloading the server, just that!

And it will happen to you wherever you go if your forum for any reason is causing such behaviour regardless the number of posts or members

Besides bear in mind they just moved servers and the old databases were not working properly; I receive a message from Steffan saying my forum with moderated traffic was causing mysql overload and advicing me to backup the database and recreate it within the new servers.

I did it and the problem was solved so I can widely recommend their services as I did it here:

http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=126907&highlight=servage

•••
i don't use a forum even now i don't host my own forum it's remotely hosted

•••
Definitely, remoted hosted forums used to be the best solution when the traffic may become a problem.

However, if your site was suspended by mistake, a hacker attempt or somebody pretending to be servage, does everything was sorted via email?

In my experience I have seen prompt response using the support ticket system but not the email which requires authentication getting in touch with Steffan.

Sadly the stats doesn't reflect the search engine hits but I have found that Yahoo may cause server overload and this is explained in the Yahoo Knowledge base with directions to control and schedule its crawler via robots.txt

If you can reach the support ticket still, I suggest to keep trying and explain what you believe are the possible causes and possibilities like this about Yahoo I'm telling you about.

Last edited:
•••
As I originally posted:
Just judge from their emails, was there server hacked and the hacker sends a suspension notice to all the members, or are they doing it themselves?
Kindly read again, compare the suspend and the wrongful suspension notice, see any differences in the headers? A closer look will reveal it's coming from the same server.

Sadly the stats doesn't reflect the search engine hits but I have found that Yahoo may cause server overload and this is explained in the Yahoo Knowledge base with directions to control and schedule its crawler via robots.txt

If you can reach the support ticket still, I suggest to keep trying and explain what you believe are the possible causes and possibilities like this about Yahoo I'm telling you about.

As I've said I don't host forums so there's no crawling on forums i get forums from remotely hosted forum services ex. bravenet.

I've tried to the point of exhaustion, sad to say when i mentioned about lawyer's stuff, they deleted all my contents. That is why I'm reporting I lost access I only uploaded from backup made on my computer. mysql was backuped weeks old :(

Quoting Steffan...

servage-stef
Accounts are suspended *for the day* when they use more than 11 GB - which is also stated in our terms. The next day the account is reopenned.

Anyways, thanks for clarifying, but Im still pissed off regarding their shutting down of my account just because it's software triggered to shut it down or what? Yeah I understand the 11gb per day threshold as Steffan have insisted, my web site is no where near 11 gb, that's already too much for me per day.

so my posts still stands as "be careful.." yeah i admit it's cheap pricing theyre carrying on their site and 11gb is ok with me per day so I trusted my money with them, sad to say I got what I paid for, it's really cheap.. :'(

Last edited:
•••
Reading again.... yes, I can see it clear and no doubt there is something wrong in there and this can happen to any of us I'm afraid.

Someone said "learn to expect the unexpected" but that doesn't help at all feeling pissed as now I understand you are feeling.

Sadly I can't give you any other advice or help over this issue so accept me for a moment crying with you because I know how hard is setup a website and lost everything without warning for a misleading or misunderstanding and keeping only old almost useless copies in the HD (happened to me at riothost.com time ago) :'(

•••
According to their own FAQ, they boldly state why the oversell:

How do I know if 25000 MB is enough space for my website?

Quite simple - 25000 MB is plenty of space. We host thousands of websites and 99% of them use well under 25000 MB. The average website uses approximately 1500-3000 MB disk space.

Thousands of websites on a single server, ouch! :| I guess they don't find anything wrong with overselling, but it's not to the benefit of their customers apart from the low price IMO

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back