Dynadot

Sedo Versus Afternic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

SKG

Established Member
Impact
Looking for opinions. I have near 80 domains parked at Sedo just because it was the first domain selling site I heard of when I started selling. What are the major differences between selling on Sedo versus Afternic? Which do you like better and why? Afternic charges membership, is it worth it? Would really like to know what all of you think because I am contimplating moving some domains over to Afternic.

Thanks all,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would suggest you sedo because you can register for free while with afternic you will have to pay a registration fee of $19.95 per year although I think visiting this link http://www.dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm will help you decide.

Last edited:
•••
AFAIK, you can park domains anywhere, but get them listed on Sedo or Afternic.

•••
Afternic just scored the $1mil fish.com , of course, and the $20 yearly fee for the opportunity to increase your exposure should be well worth it, :imho:
IOW: Both.
-Allan :gl:

•••
I was in the same boat as you 10 months ago. I put them all on Sedo first because it was free, but I saw lots of sales on Afternic taking place... I've sold about an equal number of names on each, but my Afternic sales have been for more $. If you sell just one name it easily pays for your $20 signup fee. Sign up for afternic through the 'credit for clicks' link to Afternic (that's mine hehe, small commission). I've had all my names parked at sedo, and then at afternic. I earned a little more at Sedo for parking but it wasn't a significant difference.

•••
If you're looking to sell your names, I think it's wise to list them at as many places as possible. $20 for a years worth of exposure isn't that bad, IMO. I have mine listed at Sedo, Afternic & Fabulous.

If you're looking to earn as much PPC as possible between sells, try parking them with Fabulous. They usually require at least 100 names, but if you're names are good you can get in with much less.

•••
I would suggest you park at both if you have 80 names. It is well worth it, and afternicbazaar is good for wholesale sales.

•••
Thanks everyone for all your input.

•••
At the moment I prefer SEDO. But I also joined TDNAM and think about Afternic. No doubt I will joint Afternic once I have my first sale over $50.

•••
List every domain name at sedo. Then park where appropriate.

Afternic is great for domain and internet related domains since their parking pages are pretty net and domain focused.

other places I like are domainhop and gold key. See some reasoning at www.DomainParkingGuru.com

admittedly I am still learning... what a ride it is...

gotta love the domain biz!

•••
I personally prefer Afternic over Sedo for the following reasons:

- better domain management (portfolio filtering, bulk editing)
- more intuitive interface, nicer layout
- smoother escrow process
- easier to communicate with buyers during and after negotiations
- no annoying reminders inviting buyers to make a new offer

Last edited:
•••
Correct me if I'm wrong; this is how I understand it. Sedo has a flat 10% fee if your domain is parked at Sedo. This is good for TLDs priced under $600. Say if you sold widget.com for $400. At Sedo, it would cost you $40. At Afternic, the flat fee of $60 would apply -- $20 more than Sedo. Over $600, then Afternic looks like the better bargain.

•••
Spikedo, the $60 fee at Afternic is not a flat fee. But I agree that Afternic does especially well for higher priced sales. This is what (I think) I know:

Both Afternic and Sedo have a 10% sales fee. Afternic has a minimum fee of $60, also when the domain is parked at Afternic. Sedo has no minimum fee for domains that are parked at Sedo, and a minimum fee of $50 (or Euros) for domains that are NOT parked there.

But here is what I like about Afternic:

They will return 25% of any sales commission fee if the buyer was referred to Afternic by you. Since my domains are all parked at Afternic, I automatically receive 25% of all commission fees for domains sold to buyers who are referred to Afternic by my parked domain.

I calculated that I have been receiving this 25% reduction on commission for roughly 2 out of 3 domains that I sold in the last two years. Because of this I've been paying an average of only 8,33% commission on my sales through Afternic.

To give you a sample of what this has meant for me, while comparing Afternic to Sedo:

Example 1: Selling price $400
-> Afternic commission: normally $60, but only $50 on average ($45 for 2 out of 3 domains)
-> Sedo commission: $40 (if domain is parked at Sedo)

Example 2: Selling price $2000
-> Afternic commission: normally $200, but only $166 on average
-> Sedo commission: $200

N.B. This is apart from the 25% referral income on commissions that I have received from buyers that I referred to Afternic through my parked domains, and who end up buying someone else´s domain. :)

As you can see it's not easy to compare the two, since the net effect depends in large part on the average sales price. But I hope this will at least give you an idea. And if you ´plan´ on selling most of your domains at prices at or over $500 - I would definitely go for Afternic.

Last edited:
•••
There's also another major factor in that Sedo's search does not work properly.

If your domains rely on a user searching on two letters/numbers (ie: "24", "3g", "69", "uk", "US" etc etc) you'll never sell them there. I told them and been informed they are looking into it but nothing yet and that was a month ago.

Try searching for "3g". 0 results (bar TLD's). Then search for "3gp" (for example) - 129 results.

Not good.

Last edited:
•••
Hm, unfortunately, when i do search in Sedo catalog with 'a' or any other letter with 'contains' option, it does show me only domains with 1 letter. So search there in not so good, you're right.

•••
I am wondering if you could park the same domain at both places?

1rrr1 said:
I would suggest you park at both if you have 80 names. It is well worth it, and afternicbazaar is good for wholesale sales.

•••
You can only park a name at one place. Parking is setting the nameservers to, for example, ns1.sedoparking.com and ns2.sedoparking.com, or for forwarding your domains to some name like sedo.com/parking/yourdomain.com or something like that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back