IT.COM

Is it OK to have no name in your domain's Whois?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Do you guys think it is OK or Stupid to have incorrect and/or no info at all in your domain's WHOIS record, especially if your domain is visited by thousands of interested visitors every day?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How else can anyone make an offer you can't refuse if they don't know how
to contact you?

If someone reported your domain name for invalid WHOIS info, the registrar
can take it away from you. It's in their service agreements.

•••
•••
•••
The question is: Is it OK, or stupid ...?

•••
Media is trying to make a point to me (or call me stupid, one or the other).

One many of my domain WHOIS, I list my company name, address, phone number and email address (all valid, btw) and instead of using a person's name I put a role title: "Domain Administrator", rather than "Ron James".

My understanding is that this is perfectly fine and Verisign allows this. In fact I believe they may have originated this practice which has become common among most large companies. For reference examples, please check the WHOIS information of the following domain names: verisign.com, networksolutions.com, enom.com. Do they all have invalid WHOIS?

If anyone would like to comment on the legality (or stupidity) of this, please do share your input.

•••
As long as the Actual contact info (Address - Phone etc ....) are listed - whats the difference ? Company and Organization names are allowed .... I see many people list their domains under their Common User Names within the Forums and Auction sites as well ....

•••
Media.info said:
Do you guys think it is OK or Stupid to have incorrect and/or no info at all in your domain's WHOIS record, especially if your domain is visited by thousands of interested visitors every day?

I was commenting on incorrect or no info :td:

company names are ok (in my opinion) :)

Last edited:
•••
Heh, RJ changed the WHOIS of namepros.com after i started this thread. Something to think about ;)

•••
Media.info said:
Heh, RJ changed the WHOIS of namepros.com after i started this thread. Something to think about ;)

:lala: Oh wow, stop the presses.

Would you please point out what was missing or invalid about my previous WHOIS? (Compare current NamePros.com whois vs. current WebDesignTalk.net whois if you need) What would make one more valid than the other?

I admit, your post got me concerned enough to give it a second look (especially when you coupled it with a plan to hijack it from me in the other thread), but now I realize you are the one who is wrong.

•••
Alex, your sig with a link to domenforum has been removed. You know better than to link to a competing domain forum, specially one that tries its bestest to look like NP.

•••
I don't want to get harassing or anything, but I treat people like that like thieves: with extreme caution. And it's the best thing to spend a minute or two changing a thing like a name in a whois entry than being sorry for any trouble caused to your domain (by thieves?)

•••
WhoisGuard comes free with every domain on Namecheap. :)

•••
I use the name field for my company name, but the other information is correct (not where I live since its free on the internet), however is one of my addresses.

Google checks for networks of websites by their whois information also, so it might be benificial (if cross linking) to have a private whois services.

•••
If Whois protecton was on a record then you would think that the webmaster doesn't want there details on a whois. All sites should be given this chance, no question asked.
It is ok for your Name to be Site Admin or something like that but your name is your name, other people have that name. I don't mind about that.

•••
Okay Media, point taken about your question.

Onwards...

-RJ- said:
My understanding is that this is perfectly fine and Verisign allows this. In fact I believe they may have originated this practice which has become common among most large companies. For reference examples, please check the WHOIS information of the following domain names: verisign.com, networksolutions.com, enom.com. Do they all have invalid WHOIS?

If anyone would like to comment on the legality (or stupidity) of this, please do share your input.

That's because they're legally existing entities. Note that nowhere did they
indicate any contacts as "Domain Administrator" or anything like that in their
respective WHOIS lookups.

So if you input "Domain Administrator" as the admin contact (or worse, as the
registrant) and the registrar gets an invalid WHOIS complaint, you'd better
change it if you can't prove that "Domain Administrator" legally exists.

•••
Some more detail to my last post.

IMO, Why should you have to have your public details on show.
I am not putting my home phone number but have my mobile number on there and within a week I recived text message spam from The Mob and from others.

I think this is more a whois protect issue than not filling out feilds.

EDIT - Looking at Whois details I found Ron's personal site.
I was a bit confused at first but here it is......... www.ronjames.us

Last edited:
•••
I just had that problem a week ago. I forgot my domain name's password , i ve changed my registrar e-mail address and i couldnt get it back. Because i didnt have my name in whois :o I suggest you give that information.

•••
I knew he'd be discovered eventually! *hides*
Ladies and gentlemen, may I now introduce our Fearless Leader ... Mr. Ron James! :music: :applause: Woot!

Link: http://www.ronjames.ca

:lala:

:notme:

•••
Jeff said:
I knew he'd be discovered eventually! *hides*
Ladies and gentlemen, may I now introduce our Fearless Leader ... Mr. Ron James! :music: :applause: Woot!

Link: http://www.ronjames.ca

:lala:

:notme:

Umm..... nice find Jeff...
I guess our leader has something to tell us.

•••
davezan said:
That's because they're legally existing entities. Note that nowhere did they
indicate any contacts as "Domain Administrator" or anything like that in their
respective WHOIS lookups.

Did you check eNom.com? While you're at it, look up Microsoft.com too.

Are these invalid?

•••
Well Ron, it depends....... Big guys like Google and Enom might not have just one owner.
As for Microsoft, well they always have confused me with some of the stuff they do and come out with.

Just found this while looking in to this first issue.

Whois Record Blocking on Whois.sc said:
We encourage people to keep acurate whois records, ICANN's Policy allows for the deletion of domains that don't have acurate whois information. To globally protect whois record we encourage the use of PO Boxes, Business Addresses, or a private registration service such as GoDaddy's Domains By Proxy. If privacy is an issue, take your personal information seriously. Use a safe mail address. However don't list false information or your domain may be deleted.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back