NameSilo

.us How long till .us hits it big?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hmm, Does anyone have any estimated on when .us might hit say %50 value of comparable .com's? Reason I say this is its been about a year now and Im hoping to sell some of my 2-year regs soon and not sure if its the right time.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
maybe when some crazy law makes all other tlds illegal to be hosted in US....dont forget even generic tlds have to be banned....for a good reason more and more of them are being created

personally i am hoping domain names are banned for good and only ip numbers are allowed.....like telephone numbers let everyone get their own ip number book :lol:

•••
I say it'll be a while before .us gets bigger.

•••
Originally posted by RajanUrs
.....like telephone numbers let everyone get their own ip number book :lol:

That would be called the DNS!

•••
This is tough ... mainly because the ".US" is for America, and the .COM is globally recognized. For instance, if you sold furniture in the US, you would obviously love 1.) Furniture.com 2.) Furniture.US. However if you sold furniture in Japan, your interest in Furniture.US would be much less, relatively. That entity may want 1.) Furniture.com 2.) Furniture.JP or even 3.) Furniture.NET.
In general, my best guess (and they are all guesses, educated or otherwise) would be 3 - 5 years. This is due to the .COM being so firmly engrained in the minds and eyes of the public, and this "global" concept that I mentioned.
I love the ".US" ... but it's going to require some more patience, IMHO. Develop those sites and get 'em ready for the future.
My two cents. Hope that helps. :)

•••
Gah, well at least my .us domains are regged for 2-years :)

•••
It's going to be awhile. The average American still doesn't even know about .US domains.

They won't ever reach the stature of .COM. Even 50% valuewise seems too optimistic because the value of .COM's will increase with time as well. Overall .US domains are a great investment and values will continue to increase as public awareness and accptance grows. I love them! :D

•••
ip's only?

that kills the virtual hosting game

most cheap hosters dont' give you your own IP number, the put many dom's on each IP

so names work better when you realize how many dom's are using the same IP

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
It's going to be awhile. The average American still doesn't even know about .US domains.

They won't ever reach the stature of .COM. Even 50% valuewise seems too optimistic because the value of .COM's will increase with time as well. Overall .US domains are a great investment and values will continue to increase as public awareness and accptance grows. I love them! :D

I agree with that

•••
at this point I would say any major business key word is well worth trying to get, even for a few hundred or more

autos.us
boats.us
news.us
lawyer.us
doctor.us
sports.us
tech.us
business.us
bank.us
money.us
pharmacy.us
drugs.us
anystatename.us
anylargecityname.us
computers.us
golf.us
loans.us
mortgages.us
domains.us
hosting.us

I'd pay hundreds for any of those domains, as I'm sure all of you would

is it .com?

no

but it's a major tld since it is for the USA

the largest economic force in the world is the USA

now the question is how many will pay thousands for these major .us dom's?

.us works fine for search engines and links

will it work on radio or television?

why not

people have seen .net and .org and .gov

so why not give people some credit, .us is not that difficult to understand

sure, you have idiots that will not get it, but who needs them anyway

.us is probably as strong or stronger than .net in the future

right now it's a little less than .net from what I hear

but anyone that knows the net is trying to acquire any major name in the TLD for as little as they can

strong holds

Last edited:
•••
Quite awhile, unless you hae an incredible name
DJ

•••
.us domains would be wise to invest on

•••
Originally posted by davideo7
.us domains would be wise to invest on

I agree...:)

•••
whenw ill they be of the same value? when every single .com is registered, and every single .us is registered :)
Or, when as many .us's are registered as .com's are

•••
expect major press stories about the .us tld next

over 20K major media contacts are getting a press release about [link removed]

AIS has almost every state name and abbreviation in the .US tld with the number 1 in it

so they'll getting operators for email portals in every state by offering the names with a server and cookie cutter email web site

if people liked hotmail.com for free, will they like 1CA.us or 1California.us for free

they can't get CA.us or California.us so these 1 names look decent

I hear they're already getting a bunch of signups for the names

so the more operators they get, the more the .US tld will be used and discussed

•••
I wouldn't want a state name

•••
Originally posted by 247newsnet
expect major press stories about the .us tld next

over 20K major media contacts are getting a press release about statedomains.us

AIS has almost every state name and abbreviation in the .US tld with the number 1 in it

"Advertising Forum" (for future reference):
http://www.namepros.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=15

Appreciate your understanding and cooperation.

•••
•••
Re: How long till .us hits it big?

Originally posted by Darkfire001
Hmm, Does anyone have any estimated on when .us might hit say %50 value of comparable .com's? Reason I say this is its been about a year now and Im hoping to sell some of my 2-year regs soon and not sure if its the right time.

This will take a while (years), considering the presence of .INFO .BIZ and now .LA.

TW

•••
50% of a .com?

probably never

10% like a .net for some names that is now

•••
My guess:
3 years and 4 months.

lmao.

•••
Originally posted by romantic__
My guess:
3 years and 4 months.

lmao.

:lol:
You could be off by an hour or two, Romantic! :p

•••
yesterday? :'(

IMO the .us won't take off until the overall domain market gets better. Which may coincidently be determined by the US economy. D-:

Cheers!

•••
woohoo for the high Canadian dollar! :lol:

•••
I don't think it will ever hit it big.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back